post Aug 7 2011, 10:34 AM
Post #1

I want a title about BASEBALL!
Group Icon

Group: Members
FEPoints: 0
Member No.: 1,580

Radiance of Elibe Characters

Morphs were one of the grunt enemy in Blazing Sword (FE7). They were created by the villian Nergal from the souls of fallen warriors (that's the basic idea at least). Now that this RP is taking place in Elibe, there's no doubt someone will bring this up. Nergal's army may be gone, but the knowledge to create morphs must exist somewhere in the world. Nor would it be difficult to implement in the RP. They use the same weapons as humans, so it would simply be something you would write up in your profile. No need for a third race.

So...Morphs in ROE?
Go to the top of the page
Current Mood: Neutral
+Quote Post

Hystrix
post Aug 7 2011, 10:39 AM
Post #2

FEPer
Group Icon

Group: +Advisors
FEPoints: 27,887
Member No.: 69

Skylessia Characters

They're already a bit of a blight in Skylessia (and RL somehow) as it is. I personally would wish they all went away with Nergal.
Current Mood: No data.
+Quote Post

Shuuda
post Aug 7 2011, 10:46 AM
Post #3

Unfiltered Pretentiousness
Group Icon

Group: Veterans
FEPoints: 37,097
Member No.: 509

Skylessia Characters

I think the nature of making Morphs in Elibe makes them unsuitable as a race in this RP. When Nergal started making them he was already centuries old and lost in dark magic, and was thus not particularly interested in creating them other than for the purpose of gaining more power (Kishuna as a possible exception). I just don't think it would be reasonable to see the same kind of Morphs we see in Sky within RoE.

In theory, Morphs could make appearances in RoE, but they would be incredibly rare and would most likely be exactly like the ones Nergal made, so I doubt they would be suited for a playable race in Elibe.
Current Mood: Indifferent
+Quote Post

Lil B
post Aug 7 2011, 10:47 AM
Post #4

the mind is so complex when you're based. 32 levels.
Group Icon

FEPoints: 497,989,999,475
Member No.: 1,693

Have to disagree with you on this one, 2gamers. Writing a morph is not just a tiny, simple change in the profile. If you really want to write a morph, I'd imagine you'd have to alter the way the person thinks, feels, and sees the world. It makes for a very different character.

And, considering all the confusion about morphs going on in Skylessia currently, I'd be against the idea in RoE unless ground rules were set up and information was provided far, far in advance.
+Quote Post

IrishBarbarian
post Aug 7 2011, 10:59 AM
Post #5

The Dictator of Guam
Group Icon

FEPoints: 21,406
Member No.: 398

Skylessia Characters

QUOTE(Bro @ Aug 7 2011, 08:47 AM) *
Have to disagree with you on this one, 2gamers. Writing a morph is not just a tiny, simple change in the profile. If you really want to write a morph, I'd imagine you'd have to alter the way the person thinks, feels, and sees the world. It makes for a very different character.

And, considering all the confusion about morphs going on in Skylessia currently, I'd be against the idea in RoE unless ground rules were set up and information was provided far, far in advance.

This.

I'd be very much against having morphs as PCs in RoE, especially without some very, very strict ground rules from the start. Otherwise it would lead to similar issues we had with Fallen in RL. It is far more complicated than simply mentioning "oh guys BTW I'm a morph", and I'd sooner deny the ability to play as them then see them played wrong.
+Quote Post

Satori
post Aug 7 2011, 11:07 AM
Post #6

Frightening eyes
Group Icon

FEPoints: 14,596
Member No.: 5,382

Skylessia Characters

Morphs will not be playable as PCs. :|

As grunt enemies or something, maybe. but I'd personally be happy to see them just disappear for the time being.
Current Mood: This is not a mood
+Quote Post

Toogee
post Aug 7 2011, 11:09 AM
Post #7

I want a title about BASEBALL!
Group Icon

FEPoints: 0
Member No.: 1,580

Not being a part of Skylessia or RL, I had no idea they were using morphs (or any problems they had). I won't comment on that.

Writing a morph is not just a tiny, simple change in the profile. If you really want to write a morph, I'd imagine you'd have to alter the way the person thinks, feels, and sees the world. It makes for a very different character.

Well, yeah, you'd have to write more than "pale skin, gold eyes". Nonetheless, it would be something dealt with in writing the profile. I wouldn't think you would need a giant set of rules to deal with it (other than some background knowledge of FE7).

With that said, it was merely a question of curiosity. I've seen these guys in every other FE RP (there's no class more popular than a morph swordmaster :P), so I was wondering if and how they would be dealt with here. In hindsight, I guess morphs would be better for more advanced players. Since this RP is striving to be open for all players, perhaps this isn't the place for them.
Current Mood: Neutral
+Quote Post

Donny
post Aug 7 2011, 11:24 AM
Post #8

A common young man who likes plowing fields.
Group Icon

Group: Administrators
FEPoints: 5,190
Member No.: 4,489

Skylessia Characters

QUOTE(2gamers @ Aug 7 2011, 11:09 AM) *
Not being a part of Skylessia or RL, I had no idea they were using morphs (or any problems they had). I won't comment on that.

Writing a morph is not just a tiny, simple change in the profile. If you really want to write a morph, I'd imagine you'd have to alter the way the person thinks, feels, and sees the world. It makes for a very different character.

Well, yeah, you'd have to write more than "pale skin, gold eyes". Nonetheless, it would be something dealt with in writing the profile. I wouldn't think you would need a giant set of rules to deal with it (other than some background knowledge of FE7).

With that said, it was merely a question of curiosity. I've seen these guys in every other FE RP (there's no class more popular than a morph swordmaster :P), so I was wondering if and how they would be dealt with here. In hindsight, I guess morphs would be better for more advanced players. Since this RP is striving to be open for all players, perhaps this isn't the place for them.

Just what do you mean by more advanced players?
+Quote Post

Foe
post Aug 7 2011, 11:25 AM
Post #9

With a smile!
Group Icon

FEPoints: 3,185
Member No.: 1,694

QUOTE(2gamers @ Aug 7 2011, 11:09 AM) *
I guess morphs would be better for more advanced players.

Guys we better throw out manaketes too.
Current Mood: Complacent.
+Quote Post

Shuuda
post Aug 7 2011, 11:26 AM
Post #10

Unfiltered Pretentiousness
Group Icon

FEPoints: 37,097
Member No.: 509

Skylessia Characters

To be honest, the reason Morphs are a bit of a problem in Sky is because for some reason the mods there took forever to get solid information about them in the rules section, and so no one really had any complete idea of how they were treated in Sky. It's also important to note that the canon of Sky Morphs had to be sigificantly different from Elibe in order to make them suitable for a playable race.

The only way Morphs could exist in RoE is if:

1) Some Morphs made by Nergal still existed, which is doubtful since I'd assume they all just die or deactivate without him to give them orders.
2) A druid who is Nergal's equal appeared and started making them.

It's not a question of the experience or maturity of the RPers, it's just that by FE7 canon Morphs won't work as a playable race.
Current Mood: Indifferent
+Quote Post

Lil B
post Aug 7 2011, 11:28 AM
Post #11

Group Icon

You'd need a lot more knowledge than just background information. And things like that carry on far, far past the profile. How does this morph sustain itself? What happens when it gets injured? If they are a part of this world, are there any social prejudices against them? A morph character is difficult to pull off with little or no prior knowledge, and, even then, different player will have very different adaptations. Could not be done well without a serious set of rules.
+Quote Post

Foe
post Aug 7 2011, 11:36 AM
Post #12

With a smile!
Group Icon

FEPoints: 3,185
Member No.: 1,694

QUOTE(Bro @ Aug 7 2011, 11:28 AM) *
You'd need a lot more knowledge than just background information. And things like that carry on far, far past the profile. How does this morph sustain itself? What happens when it gets injured? If they are a part of this world, are there any social prejudices against them? A morph character is difficult to pull off with little or no prior knowledge, and, even then, different player will have very different adaptations. Could not be done well without a serious set of rules.

That's more information than we have for the various citizens of different nations, I don't see how that's needed so much if it ends up being more details than that of what most people would playing. Out of balance.
Current Mood: Complacent.
+Quote Post

Echelon
post Aug 7 2011, 11:37 AM
Post #13

What a fine lack of faith you place in the ridiculous.
Group Icon

FEPoints: 8,200
Member No.: 2,933

QUOTE(2gamers @ Aug 7 2011, 12:09 PM) *
In hindsight, I guess morphs would be better for more advanced players. Since this RP is striving to be open for all players, perhaps this isn't the place for them.

I don't like your implication that we as a playerbase aren't "advanced" enough to handle morphs in an RP, especially considering that Skylessia is full of them. =| As well, Sky does have a full writeup and rules for morphs to keep them consistent and I'm sure people will still be asking questions, but those that posted while I was writing this already brought out the points I was going to mention to back up that playing one goes far beyond "ohai gaiz, I'm a morph!" ...Which I'd think most advanced players should realize.

If you really want to play a morph, there's Sky. With world-consistent rules. I'd just as soon keep it that way. No need to make things more complicated than they have to be, and it would be really complex to try to make it viable in this setting.
+Quote Post

Lil B
post Aug 7 2011, 11:45 AM
Post #14

Group Icon

QUOTE(.:Satori:. @ Aug 7 2011, 10:07 AM) *

As grunt enemies or something, maybe. but I'd personally be happy to see them just disappear for the time being.

QUOTE(.:Satori:. @ Aug 7 2011, 10:07 AM) *

This. You're debating a moot point here, guys.
+Quote Post

Satori
post Aug 7 2011, 11:45 AM
Post #15

Frightening eyes
Group Icon

FEPoints: 14,596
Member No.: 5,382

Skylessia Characters

QUOTE(.:Satori:. @ Aug 7 2011, 12:07 PM) *

Just to reiterate this point even further.

And now I'm locking this before it devolves any further.
Current Mood: This is not a mood
+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2018 - 05:02 AM

Affiliates