post Nov 28 2011, 04:50 PM
Post #76

With a smile!
Group Icon

Group: Members
FEPoints: 3,185
Member No.: 1,694

@Other people role-playing morphs.

I keep seeing these same pointless lines in posts that have no place being there.

"If [name] had [human trait here] they would have [act/response]. But they don't, so they didn't."

Stop it. These lines are irksome and even insulting in a sense. If I'm writing a non-morph character who lacks compassion or emotion or what have you, these sort of lines would never be made. The same behavior, but not being a "morph" apparently makes it oh so different. The lines themselves say absolutely nothing on their own. They seriously boil down to "skip this, you miss nothing."

Simply having them not do something you'd otherwise expect of a person does this on its own, and to better effect without bashing readers over the head about it.

I have a more personal problem with them implying you have to act a certain way to be human (and to do otherwise is inhuman), but this is why I put this in a rant thread and not elsewhere.
Go to the top of the page
Current Mood: Complacent.
+Quote Post

Shuuda
post Nov 29 2011, 02:27 PM
Post #77

Unfiltered Pretentiousness
Group Icon

Group: Veterans
FEPoints: 37,097
Member No.: 509

Skylessia Characters

If I had a brain I would post something cleverer. But I don't, so I won't.
Current Mood: Indifferent
+Quote Post

Foe
post Jan 23 2012, 01:04 PM
Post #78

With a smile!
Group Icon

Group: Members
FEPoints: 3,185
Member No.: 1,694

Goodnight, sweet prince.

The large userbase phenomenon of text roleplay on this board is dead. There is no remedy. The member base is old, tired. The energy derived from the activity has lost all freshness. Both leaders have quit, whether it be on official terms or merely effective. I think part if it is in fact a wide-spread coincidence. There were a lot of active participants that either slowed down to a screeching halt or otherwise stopped posting within a small time frame; roughly the month of December, 2011.

They were run by small groups of people that were more interested in writing their own stories than actually interacting with other characters on a random chance based progression format. The stakes were disproportionately high in the face of what they really were, casual, secondary, intended for fun.

More often than not, they really weren't that fun, and the tendency of members (the ones still around at least) to be stubborn only prolonged the subtle suffering. Frankly, I don't know what I'm going to do to supplant this loss. I feel that I would still enjoy the creation, progression, and interaction of characters with others. Whether I follow the half-successful trend for small-group roleplays with tighter plots, such as SMT or the many General RP campaigns being run. Or whether I perhaps, by some oddity, actually do my own writing again, I don't know.

I just know it won't be happening in big-name stuff like "Skylessia 2: We Messed Up Again" or "Radiance Lost 2: Made to Die".

The aforementioned stubbornness makes me want to stay here; in familiar territory, where I have the increasing notion that finding another roleplay interested community as matured as this is indeed a difficult task. (I've tried finding other places before, only to be frustrated at the quality, rather than the activity.)

I would, likely, enjoy a more chatroom based format of roleplaying, where exchanges are live, where interactivity is stressed more than writing quality or length. That's why I wanted to roleplay, after all, to compare and contrast my character with others be it through social, physical, mental, or any other type of conflict. Whether these are dramatized or embellished to the unrelateable scale of "saving X from Y because we're the PCs and that's how it works" or simpler stuff like slice-of-life problems.

However, even then, scheduling problems come in, this person or that person can't show up; or chooses not to and communicates poorly; or the format isn't flexible enough to deal with selective absences, and the problems happen all over again; to greater severity.

Having so many characters, so many roleplay slots per character... those systems were never made because people wanted a lot of characters or threads happening at once. It happened because no single thread could be relied upon to survive. Attendence is the crippling blow; and fixing that isn't something that can really be done.
Current Mood: Complacent.
+Quote Post

6 Pages V  « < 4 5 6
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th September 2017 - 03:39 AM

Affiliates