post Nov 5 2013, 10:13 PM
Post #1

FEPer
Group Icon

Group: Members
FEPoints: 85
Member No.: 89,481

Prologue:

Nearly four hundred years have elapsed since both Gharnef and Medeus was defeated at the hands of Marth. and therefore one thousand years have elapsed since Anri defeated Medeus for the first time. The last four centuries were a long-lasting period of peace where trade could flourish all over the world. And so, the kingdom of Marmotord, located in, and ruling over, the Desert of Death, was finally rebuilt, and Thabes was gradually rebuilt by generations upon generations of Marmotord residents. And the reconstruction of the ancient city was nearing completion. This desert locale would become an idyll of peace... were it not for the rampant corruption among the city government.

Thus Thabes, the capital of Marmotord, was ordered, by a royal edict, to conduct its first municipal elections because the King no longer trusted the government officials then in place, whose officials gained office through court intrigue. The people demands to have some say in how the city is run. The edict did plan for an elected city council, with 12 councillors, each of which representing a city district, and the chief justice assigned to the city was to oversee the electoral process. Little did the judicial system know that, while the people demanded some say in how the city was run, very few would actually go as far as running for office, be it a seat in the city council or even mayoral race. And so the odyssey of Fazia, an officer in the Marmotord army, said to descend from Catria, one of the heroes of the War of Heroes, begins, as she officially announces to run for mayor. begins.

"Commander, look at this unbelievable list of requirements if we are to run a successful electoral campaign: mandatory declaration of all donors that give more than 100 gold to this campaign, mandatory reporting of all campaign-related expenditures, we're limited to 10,000 gold for the entire campaign, which is to last 15 days..." Melda, Faiza's campaign manager, explained.

"For all of what it is worth, we need a campaign platform. We're not going to win this campaign with my own looks alone. However, given that I serve in the military, I could include some law enforcement section in the platform but, if I did so, I should try a way not to scare off the electors that could think of me as a potential tyrant"

"Commander, how is the command of this force be assumed while you are out in the streets in an attempt to become the mayor of the city?" asked some worried musketeer.

In the four hundred years following the War of Heroes, Marmotord developed firearms as well as gunpowder, and Thabes became home of the world's largest supply of gunpowder and firearms. For this reason, Thabes became a fortress lined up with dozens of cannons of various sizes, and the Msrmotord military comprised two regiments of musketeers. Officers of the musketeer corps wore cavalry armor; the standard issue musket contained a bayonet, which allowed musketeers to use their firearms as lances at close quarters. But this question of interim command was loaded from Faiza's standpoint.
Go to the top of the page
Current Mood: No data.
+Quote Post

Falaflame
post Nov 6 2013, 09:42 AM
Post #2

Flamey Master of Really Bad Puns!
Group Icon

Group: FETO Manager
FEPoints: 133,734,690,354
Member No.: 13,316

Skylessia Characters

Ah, a very short fanfiction, so I'm assuming this is a base, something to start with. It sounds good and promising, though. Looking forward to seeing more from you. ^^

Current Mood: Relieved
+Quote Post

Catria
post Nov 6 2013, 11:38 PM
Post #3

FEPer
Group Icon

Chapter 1: Mayoral responsibilities

The mayoral campaign was just the beginning. Faiza's loyal soldiers were assembled in the briefing room so that they could get some planning for the weeks ahead. She wonders how many will chip in 99 gold to get the campaign going. At this point, all the other candidates are getting ready to build their platforms, but they have yet to know whether city council candidates will rally to their cause or not. And, while Faiza is expected to get a majority support among the army, no one in the army knows who the civilians will side with. With some of the low-ranked soldiers ready to get Faiza some suggestions, they stand ready to do their part for the city campaign.

"Commander, before we establish our campaign, please, let us go to the library and, hopefully, get volunteers for the upcoming mayoral campaign; you may also want to tour the city and ask some residents about the main non-security issues of the city other than corruption" Jaid told Faiza while still in the barracks.

"In fact, for corruption, we are going to need some spies, some magic users to accomplish that. Magic users that can do audits. Because there are those magic users that can read accounting documents... I sure hope that we have our auditors at the ready. By the way, Jaid, Melda, do you have any idea where one can find the text of the edict?"

"The Tower of Thabes ought to have a copy posted outside. The King resides in the Tower, and royal edicts are normally posted at the entrance of the tower, But the King posts a couple of copies at strategic points in the city: city hall, marketplace, as well as the gates and the public fountains" Melda answered.

"Melda, assemble some men; we're out on patrol and we are also looking for one of those areas where the edict has been posted" Faiza ordered.

Melda assembled four more musketeers to go out on patrol with Faiza and she took out a plank of wood so that she could write the essentials of mayoral responsibility on it. And so, the patrol navigated through the streets of the inner city, asking passersby about what they expect from their future mayor, with expectations ranging from better access to education to better enforcement of banking law, but Faiza has yet to gauge the realism of the citizens' expectation with that of the post she runs for. For her, security was something she valued, but she had little knowledge of city issues other than corruption and public security. Upon arriving at a public fountain, Faiza and Melda stops at the ornate, stone-hewn board, on which the edict, which also acted as the city charter under which Thabes will be operating after the election, was pinned.

"Look at the text of the edict... here is a list of the extent of the responsibilities of the city council and that of the mayor" Melda said, with Faiza still drinking from the fountain.

"Article 5: The responsibilities of the mayor. Section 5.1: The Mayor shall henceforth hold the power to veto legislation passed by the city council; however, that veto could be overriden by a 2/3 vote of the city council" Faiza began to read.

Faiza learned that the city bore much responsibility although the mayor did not have the power to reverse a judicial decision. She learned that education, public works, law enforcement (and therefore the military, through the city garrison), sewage, fire departments, as well as some entertainment responsibilities and public health responsibilities and a level of taxation. In essence, the mayor, as defined in the edict, was much like a lord, albeit without any judicial power, and without the ability to go to war against other entities. But what puzzled her was that the king would willingly let the people rule over the cities. In her mind, that meant that the mayor would be part of the nobility while in office; in fact, the king knew that the people did not want elections too often.

"That's a big bump in responsibility from my current position; Thabes is one of the major cities on this continent and no other city of this size ever elected its mayor before" Faiza declared.

"Is there anything you'd promise the voters at this point?"

"Stricter enforcement of banking law, as well as a raise in taxes for the banks. I come to the realization that, while banks are not the root of the corruption by themselves, the banks still play an important role. Plus banks are that sort of business that has to be present anywhere where trade is present; there has to be some way to levy higher banking taxes without raising interest rates to the point of economic collapse"
+Quote Post

Catria
post Nov 10 2013, 06:19 PM
Post #4

FEPer
Group Icon

Chapter 2: Candidacy made official

With one electoral promise announced, Faiza read further into the edict and realized that there was a particular article in the edict that pertained specifically to how to make a candidacy official, as well as the fees associated. It came to her surprise when she realized that all she had to do was to show up at the Tower of Thabes, sign a contract, which was to be signed by the campaign manager also, and finally pay the candidacy fees. But, between the royal palace, located at the topmost level, and Faiza's current position, somewhere on the first level, the party had to walk for a while just to get to the gate leading to the upper levels, the very stairwell Faiza's ancestor, Catria, had to watch over as Marth climbed it to reach Gharnef.

"I wonder how many people are on the electoral list... and who could vote. Am I eligible to run anyway?" Faiza asked.

"The edict said, about voter eligibility: One is eligible to vote for the city council and the mayor provided that person is aged 18 or older by Election Day, one is not a serf or a slave, regardless of gender. One additional restriction is imposed in order to run for office: one shall not be convicted of a crime in order to be deemed eligible to run" Melda explained.

"Remember, the previous city administration lived in the lap of luxury; the people are angry at how their rulers abused the treasury. It would be best to implement more transparent policies once you are in office... or else the election might turn sour mere months afterward" Jaid suggested, on their journey.

"That we also promise to set up a team in charge of making the city expenditures transparent, of holding the banks to tighter rules pertaining to their operations... even that is only scratching the surface of the city's issues"

Faiza continues her journey to the Tower of Thabes, collecting information along the way. And she realizes that she has more to do in order to gain the hearts of the populace. And, for the next hour, she is going through several districts of the desert city, which could somehow contain 50,000 people. Then again, Marmotord has much of its supplies imported and Thabes was the terminus of a major trade route that went through Khadein, from which food was delivered in exchange for weapons, gunpowder and blown glass. However, glass objects were to be stored in sand for transport. After climbing several stairs, Faiza arrives at the main gate of the royal palace, where the electoral commission, tasked with registering candidates, is located.

"What is your business in the palace, milady?" asked a palace guard, inspecting the credentials of the party.

"My name is Faiza, commander of the 1st battalion, XI regiment. I am here to officially declare my intention to run for Mayor of Thabes.

"You may pass" the palace guard told the group. "The Electoral Commission is located on the right-hand corridor on the third floor"

The garrison of Thabes comprised an entire division of Marmotord's army, with seven regiments, including the palace guards (I regiment), totalling 8,000 men. The XI regiment was the musketeer regiment assigned to the city while the other musketeer regiment, the XII regiment, was stationed in another fortress up north, Port Mungo. A General led the party through the palace, which was a vertical construction, and passed by multiple nobles and multiple palace workers, such as the cooks, the maids and so on, so forth.

"Milord, this is Faiza, a mayoral candidate that desires to make her candidacy official" the guard announced.

"Lady Faiza, I hope that you are aware of the regulations. And I hope that you know that, while the mayoral responsibilities are heavy, almost like that of a lord, you will hold a lordly title at the discretion of the King at the time of inauguration. However, the nobility rank that comes with the mayoral office is not hereditary" Roark, the chief returning officer, told Faiza.

"You mean that I will hold the office for life if elected?"

"Yes. Please take note that the city council can choose to hold a recall election if the council feels that a mayor is incompetent. Understanding that, do you still want to run for the office?" asked Roark.

"Yes, I still want to run for mayor."

"By the way, Faiza, who is your campaign director?"

"Me, and my name is Melda" Melda answered.

"Very well, but you will have to pay 500 gold at some point before Election Day"

Roark hands Faiza a contract with all the terms under which she is to run for the office of Mayor of Thabes. That contract requires the signature of both the mayoral candidate and his/her campaign manager. Faiza looks for 500 gold coins in her purse, and pays the filing fee shortly after the contract is signed. And she looks at the list of candidates officially entered for both city council and mayor. The electoral commission did not expect Thabes freedmen or free people to even desire to run for the city council in such numbers; the King decreed that the city council was to be formed of 34 councillors, elected for life, rather than the originally planned 12.

"Look at how many want to become city councillor rather than mayor..." Melda pointed out. "Perhaps a city council position is less dangerous than that of the mayor; the population pretty much expects a democratically elected mayor to be assassinated at some point in office, hence why there are only three candidates, including you, for mayor, but no less than 150 candidates for a city council seat"

"I assume that a city council election would become chaotic if a district had 14 candidates, like my home quarter used to before the King decreed the City Council expanded. But we must get going to the nearest market and set up a booth; it is still market day, after all"

The market at the base of the second level is the primary market of the city, where people from several miles away from the city congregated to purchase supplies other than foodstuffs. And so the party of electoral campaigners made for the marketplace where the populace was expected to learn about the new developments in the nascent electoral campaign, and not just about shopping. Upon arriving at the marketplace, the guards assigned to the market took Faiza and showed her an empty stall that she could use for today.

"Milady, as with all other mayoral candidates, you are authorized to use one stall on market days for free. You may use your stall time to advertise your selling points" the guard explained.

"Milady, I think I see the other mayoral candidates at their stalls: Grace, as well as Kerson. If I may, I will scout their stalls to see what their platforms are" Jaid suggested.
+Quote Post

Catria
post Nov 17 2013, 09:14 PM
Post #5

FEPer
Group Icon

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/9828974/1/Fire...icipal-Election

Now on fanfiction.net...
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th September 2017 - 02:32 AM

Affiliates