kaishin no chikara
post Sep 13 2013, 06:16 PM
Post #1

My Name ^ Shit I Dribble ->
Group Icon

Group: Members
FEPoints: 10,001,064
Member No.: 5,521

In a way, this is a run-time error since it's not an intended positive effect, so it's classification is correct. (IMG:style_emoticons/blue/grin.gif)

So, after seeing one too many newbies do things regarding this site, I feel that some things should be changed for the future FETO, FETO4.

1. Battles should be forced to have time limits AND missed turn limits. Failure to do this results in the game yelling at you via like with every other error. You can set them to 999 days and 99 missed turns if you want, just so long as every new player is forced to learn (one way or another) of the existence of these things. Some players forget they have matches started and often times the other player will forget. Bad news when this happens. Even worse when the only way out is a forfeit.

2. Some sort of New User guide that denotes standard procedure for dealing with the technical details of FETO and maybe LoFE, if my name gets approved. (IMG:style_emoticons/blue/awesome.gif) Anyway, there is a distinct difference between the type of game being looked for by players who set very different time limits. The player is probably on if there the time limit is 10 minutes. Probably not if it's 24 hours. Big difference.

More to come later.
Go to the top of the page
Current Mood: SOMETHING THAT SPACE FLOWER WON'T BUG ME ABOUT
+Quote Post

Falaflame
post Sep 13 2013, 07:34 PM
Post #2

Flamey Master of Really Bad Puns!
Group Icon

Group: FETO Manager
FEPoints: 133,734,690,354
Member No.: 13,316

Skylessia Characters

I personally think that there should be limits on turns, really. I'd say there should be a few options on how to prevent forfeits and prevent characters from being stuck until they have to forfeit because the other player decides to drop off the face of the earth.

Minutes: 8 minutes, 15 minutes, 30 minutes
Hours: 12 Hours, 16 Hours, 20 Hours
Days: 1 Day, 2 Days, 3 Days
Current Mood: Relieved
+Quote Post

kaishin no chikara
post Sep 13 2013, 07:42 PM
Post #3

My Name ^ Shit I Dribble ->
Group Icon

Group: Members
FEPoints: 10,001,064
Member No.: 5,521

QUOTE(Falaflame @ Sep 13 2013, 08:34 PM) *
I personally think that there should be limits on turns, really. I'd say there should be a few options on how to prevent forfeits and prevent characters from being stuck until they have to forfeit because the other player decides to drop off the face of the earth.

Minutes: 8 minutes, 15 minutes, 30 minutes
Hours: 12 Hours, 16 Hours, 20 Hours
Days: 1 Day, 2 Days, 3 Days

I like custom time limits. 30 minutes is too much, 15 is too little, 24 is juuuuuuuust right.

But you are right, there should be a minimum turn limit and missed turn limit. How about 2 days and 5 missed turns?

Or an automatic "enemy player wishes to end this battle" response if the enemy player is AFK for 48 hours?
Current Mood: SOMETHING THAT SPACE FLOWER WON'T BUG ME ABOUT
+Quote Post

sirocyl
post Sep 13 2013, 09:07 PM
Post #4

my face has three hands
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin
FEPoints: 1,439
Member No.: 88,769

Next FETO will be less of a brick wall to new players, for sure. I also plan to make it so you can still see things in the game without characters yet, as a spectator (I had an issue with this personally.) Watching others' games, if made public, would be a great way to learn the ins and outs of FETO.

But yeah, we'll be able to start new players off nicely. AI bots may not be too impractical if we get some number-crunchers, but it'll all depend. We might just have a set "welcoming committee" dedicated to giving new players their first battle and teaching them the basic skills and tactics. Perhaps a set of scheduled FETO Boot Camp sessions, as well, and a FETO U board on FEP, where one can post guides and strategies.

As for time limits, as much as I'd like to agree, some people will feel rushed on the clock. I'll work that out in another post, this topic is about bringing new players into the game.
Current Mood: Uzbekistan
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd July 2019 - 09:19 AM

Affiliates