Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register ) · IRC Chat

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
More ideas., The other topic had over 9000 views!?
kaishin no chikara
post Sep 13 2012, 01:46 PM
Post #1

My Name ^ Shit I Dribble ->
Group Icon

Group: Members
FEPoints: 10,001,064
Member No.: 5,521

If it's bolded it's been updated.

After playing some more FETO, I thought of some better ideas. Some more reasonable ideas, if you will.

Starting from least craziest to most craziest.

1. Traditional S-ranks (the ones used for their sheer power and hit) should get a hit penalty. They have +10 more hit than the A-rank power tomes and additional might. The only drawback is that they can't be gotten as easily, which is a terrible way to balance them. I was thinking -5 Hit.
Edit: Shot down from unpopularity.

2. Siege tomes shouldn't be affected by WTA, pitching or catching. It only adds a crazy amount of luck to the game regarding the tomes themselves, because predicting the magic types the opponent will use really isn't an option. >_>
"Oh gasp, I can't siege my opponents because they have WTA on me", or "gasp, I can easily siege my opponents because I get WTA2"

3. Give SKL the 2 Hit back, or give it 1.75 Hit per point. Currently, the only units that benefit from choosing skill over luck are those that cannot get 27+ luck (promoted and unpromoted armours) and hit and run units. Snipers, basically. This doesn't allow snipers any more hit and run potential (after all, if you bomb a hit and run you can just hit the abort button and run for it) and armours are obviously not going to become overpowered from this.

4. Bows are OP. Something should be done. Many have suggested a 1 MT penalty.

My favorite solution to this, however, is to take the Yggdra Union solution and give swords, axes, and lance WTA over these units. This makes melee units a lot less underpowered when compared to the uber bows and consequently makes armours much better choices. There is a reason there are no bowtroubs, after all (actually there are several reasons, but I won't be getting into the programming related ones).

Additionally, brave bows should not have effectiveness against fliers. This allows for stupidly high damage. >_>

5. Bring back the 5 hit difference between swords, lances, and axes, if for no other reason than to make anima and lances less underpowered when compared to axes' and darkness' brokenness. The crit difference should stay.

6. This is by far the most crazy idea, so bear with me.

Pegmages are significantly underpowered. The main idea behind peg mages is that they get two hits (albeit at 25 POW and 75% damage instead of 30) to everybody's one, and they get this on every unit that isn't another peg mage, even getting it on normal pursuiters. This gives them more damage overall. However,
1. Peg Mages can't really put a dent in things with anything less than a S-rank or an A-rank. Swapping to a lower rank doesn't help them too much with high evasion low resistance units.
2. Their pursuit ability often fails without MTA, because those units have low hit rates from low skill and lack of insight from pursuiting.
3. Pursuiting means that these units take a counterattack, meaning that the first shot has to be a killing blow or these units have to be the ones to strike first (as apposed to striking second for the kill, as most kills take 2 units).
4. Their one defense, incredible evasion, does not save them from bows.
5. Reliable Silver Impale OHKOs 95% of these units without fail. This isn't like the rienfleche case where hawks and peg mages can put a few more points in DEF. This is almost impossible to defend against. Using 0wt weapons doesn't help. But god forbid you don't equip them. Then you get Rienfleche impaled, and that is no fun with max power.

http://feto.feplanet.net/character/view/67998
Tef gave his lord a max evasion and hit build and even he can't stand against this. The impale does exactly 50 damage, enough to kill the lord.

The only defense against this is to use nihil, which is stupid for a peg mage to use.

I have two solutions to this, one of which is crazy awesome and the other of which is not so awesome but much more balanced. Balanced one comes first.

A. 26 power. This negates Reliable Silver Impale OHKO, an attack that is made to specifically take down these units. This doesn't solve the problem of allowing these units to equip non-0 WT weapons.

B. Give peg mages 2 magic types before promotion, extending it to three afterwards (heaven knights still have just staves, but receive two magic types post promotion). This gives all of them (including heaven knight promos) MTA3, which combined with decent RES, allows them to be anti-mage units. They still have hit problems on non-mage units and they still get that impale reliable silver OHKO bullshit, but now they can better do their job of being a total glass cannon unit.

C. Give these units 30 POW. This would fix the entire problem and despite what some may think would not make pegs broken, because they still suffer from low hit and now have to use 5/12.5% more to get max power, which definitely takes away from other stats that they have to invest in normally just to not get OKHO'd by other things.

Edit: Some other changes:

7. Status staves. The current census is that they are ridiculously broken. Sleep incapacitates a unit for 3 turns and forces the opponent to sacrifice another unit's turn, something that is especially important on a counterattack, to remedy the original unit. Silence and Seal are also restrict a unit's movement to variable degrees.

The worst offender I've seen is that time when Axl (not to be confused with Axel) rushed Inan, killed nothing, and sleeped some of his units. Inan counterattacked by killing 2 units. Even with this sort of counterattack, Axl still won (by sleeping more units).

Lastly, take a unit with 25 DEF, 25 RES, and 16 LCK. A standard Berlin Wall Druid. This unit has one of the highest defenses against staves at a potent 116.
Now take a standard staver. 30 POW and 17 SKL. Again, a standard Berlin Wall Druid. It's base hit is 167. Now add the S-rank bonus and sleep's normal hit and it rises to 182. Add in some range and it drops to 174. That's still a 58% chance of hitting... on a unit specifically built to block this kind of attack. The only unit with a higher defense is a RES-tank unit (see: Valiants, other Druids). Against another staving unit like a valkyrie, the chance increases to around 90%, and that's at unfavorable range for the staving unit.

With a unit like my Mage Knight Lord and Dracolord, or perhaps an actual Dracolord, the percentage rises to nearly 100%. Bear in mind that that was with a Berlin Wall Druid. Swap that out for a 30/30/30 bishop and it rises even more. This is fucking stupid. >_>

There are several courses of action we can take with this:

A. Give all units with staves immunity to staves. This would, to some degree, balance it out.
B. Give all staves the effect of remedy, so a remedying unit doesn't waste it's turn. As an example, this would mean that someone could Shield and Remedy a unit at the same.
C. Make all status staves 1 range. This wouldn't change much. >_>
D. Decrease the accuracy of status. Again, wouldn't change much. You'd just see people taking pot shots with status like it was fucking Call of Duty.
E. Make all status one turn. A more effective solution.
F. Make all status wear off after the caster's turn, not the enemy's. Can be combined with Option E for extra effect.
G. Ban Silence and Sleep, make Seal S-rank. This could be combined with Option C, Option E or Option F.
H. Remove Sleep, Seal, Silence from the game. From here, we can also do one of the following with Fear (Fear is not as broken, as it neither restricts an enemy's movement or its actions):
i. Ban Fear
ii. Nerf Fear (a -3 stat penalty instead of -5?)
iii. LEAVE FEAR ALONE! SHE'S A HUMAN!

Edit: Some ideas nixed in favor of changing staves instead of removing them. Too many players won't back me on simple stave removal. Also, see the other topic I made for a more detailed discussion and solution to status stave changing.

8. Give all physical flying units that don't have +15 evasion as a class skill the ability to get 35 SPD.

The thing about the +15 evasion is that you don't have to invest in other stats to get killer evasion and it only costs the sacrifice of a weapon type. This is somewhat bad for the melee units but even then isn't really noticeable for anything but hitting troubs and other hawk (or dracos, but they take little damage either way), which even with WTA2 instead of WTD is usually still impossible with their ridiculous evasion. Hawks definitely don't notice this because they're immune to the weapon triangle. And of course you can always overcome.

Giving the units that don't have this bonus a 35 SPD cap allows them to get 2/3rds of the bonus and have pursuit on a whole plethora of enemies, but at the same time doesn't make hawks/dracos obsolete because hawks/dracos still have the advantage of not having to invest in 5 points of extra speed to get the bonus. It's just given to them (remember, 35 SPD cap =/- 35 SPD).

More coming soon possibly.
Go to the top of the page
Current Mood: SOMETHING THAT SPACE FLOWER WON'T BUG ME ABOUT
+Quote Post

kryptonite
post Sep 13 2012, 09:01 PM
Post #2

Desolate Soul
Group Icon

FEPoints: 0
Member No.: 8,581

I feel that the silver impale is directed at my 30 Pow Impalemads.

Easily remedied by not "optimizing" to 44/11, and instead 44/12. Oh noes, 1 more stat used for HP/Def. (IMG:style_emoticons/blue/noes.gif)
Current Mood: Content
+Quote Post

kaishin no chikara
post Sep 13 2012, 09:29 PM
Post #3

Group Icon

QUOTE(Nolan Kryptonite @ Sep 13 2012, 10:01 PM) *
I feel that the silver impale is directed at my 30 Pow Impalemads.

Easily remedied by not "optimizing" to 44/11, and instead 44/12. Oh noes, 1 more stat used for HP/Def. (IMG:style_emoticons/blue/noes.gif)

Not quite, you need 44/13 or 46/12. Either way, it's more than what's needed to optimize to avoid rien. It ditracts from points better spent elsewhere and it still doesn't allow the unit use of 1 wt weapons (impale rienfleche cannot be optimized against).
+Quote Post

kryptonite
post Sep 14 2012, 11:33 AM
Post #4

Desolate Soul
Group Icon

Because

Heaven Kn. -> Star Kn. [Gladiator]
Stats at level 20/20
HP [2/0%]: 44.00
POW [1/10%]: 25.00
SKL [0/0%]: 14.00
SPD [1/20%]: 35.00
DEF [2/0%]: 13.00
RES [0/0%]: 22.00
LCK [0/10%]: 28.00

Heaven Kn. -> Dawn Kn. [Gladiator]
Stats at level 20/20
SPD [0/20%]: 35.00
RES [0/0%]: 21.00
LCK [1/10%]: 29.00

Heaven Kn. -> Skyfire Kn. [Glass Cannon]
Stats at level 20/20
HP [2/15%]: 52.00
SKL [0/0%]: 19.00
SPD [1/10%]: 35.00
DEF [0/0%]: 7.00
LCK [2/5%]: 26.00

Stats at level 20/20
SKL [2/20%]: 29.00
LCK [2/15%]: 30.00

are terrible units and should never be used, mirite?

Also, I can't think of anyone other than me that runs Impale except the occaisional Valiant (who would rather use Aurora) or Sniper (who would rather use Wrath/Pursuit/Insight).
+Quote Post

kaishin no chikara
post Sep 14 2012, 12:02 PM
Post #5

Group Icon

QUOTE(Nolan Kryptonite @ Sep 14 2012, 12:33 PM) *
Because

Stats at level 20/20

This unit has 54 hit rate and is expected to hit both blasts of pursuit. You tell me if it's bad or not. In addition it has only one magic type. Fun fun. Don't forget, dualing gespensts means that you get rien impaled. You need 10 more HP to survive that. Good game son.

Stats at level 20/20

As above, but add 1 hit. Also, it's a dawn knight. The pisspoor skill negates any sort of critical you could hope to aspire for. This is basically like attacking with a dark peg mage that has 23 POW.

Stats at level 20/20

This one is better because the hit is better, but it's only 59.5. See above.
Also, why did you decide to lower the luck?

Stats at level 20/20

I have to admit, I'm impressed you came up with this despite the barrier, however, heaven knight promos only have one magic type, so I'm sure this will have some damage problems. Considering it's a lord, that's bad.

They work. I can get things to work better. =)

Also, I can't think of anyone other than me that runs Impale except the occaisional Valiant (who would rather use Aurora) or Sniper (who would rather use Wrath/Pursuit/Insight).

Something being uncommon doesn't make it any less balanced.
+Quote Post

SereneFlight
post Sep 14 2012, 01:18 PM
Post #6

Mr. good-for-nothing
Group Icon

FEPoints: 100,076,585
Member No.: 9,404

QUOTE(Thorhammer @ Sep 13 2012, 09:46 PM) *
After playing some more FETO, I thought of some better ideas. Some more reasonable ideas, if you will.

Starting from least craziest to most craziest.

1. Traditional S-ranks (the ones used for their sheer power and hit) should get a hit penalty. They have +10 more hit than the A-rank power tomes and additional might. The only drawback is that they can't be gotten as easily, which is a terrible way to balance them. I was thinking -5 Hit.

Regal Blade
Mt: 15
Hit: 89
Crit: 13

Great Sword (Reliable)
Mt: 15
Hit: 84
Crit: -3

Great Sword (Heavy)
Mt: 16
Hit: 74
Crit: 5

-5 hit for S-ranks? No ty.
Current Mood: If you see this, F*CKING SCROLL UP OR DOWN, NOW!!!
+Quote Post

kryptonite
post Sep 14 2012, 02:23 PM
Post #7

Desolate Soul
Group Icon

QUOTE(Thorhammer @ Sep 14 2012, 01:02 PM) *
QUOTE(Nolan Kryptonite @ Sep 14 2012, 12:33 PM) *
Because

Stats at level 20/20

This unit has 54 hit rate and is expected to hit both blasts of pursuit. You tell me if it's bad or not. In addition it has only one magic type. Fun fun. Don't forget, dualing gespensts means that you get rien impaled. You need 10 more HP to survive that. Good game son.

Stats at level 20/20

As above, but add 1 hit. Also, it's a dawn knight. The pisspoor skill negates any sort of critical you could hope to aspire for. This is basically like attacking with a dark peg mage that has 23 POW.

Stats at level 20/20

This one is better because the hit is better, but it's only 59.5. See above.
Also, why did you decide to lower the luck?

Stats at level 20/20

I have to admit, I'm impressed you came up with this despite the barrier, however, heaven knight promos only have one magic type, so I'm sure this will have some damage problems. Considering it's a lord, that's bad.

They work. I can get things to work better. =)

Something being uncommon doesn't make it any less balanced.

The first ones I posted are basically what people use now with 1 less Luc put into HP/Def. Because -1 Hit/Avd/Crit Avd and more durability makes a unit go from "awesum" to "terribad."

The latter two are so they weren't all Gladiators with 44/13.

I'm glad you said that Tef's lord with 1 less Skl and more durability was bad though.

Solar Kn. -> Flare Kn. [Glass Cannon]
Stats at level 20/20
POW [1/15%]: 25.00
SKL [1/15%]: 30.00
DEF [1/0%]: 8.00
RES [0/0%]: 17.00

Uncommon? More like non-existant. inb4yourimpalemads My impalemads exist solely for peg mages. It's an all mounted squad. I've yet to see a Valiant or Sniper with Impale active.

The point is, even if you do see someone running Impale, you have 4-6 units (ideally) that curbstomp it because it might as well not have any skill active on most of your army.
+Quote Post

kaishin no chikara
post Sep 14 2012, 03:44 PM
Post #8

Group Icon

QUOTE(Nolan Kryptonite @ Sep 14 2012, 03:23 PM) *
I'm glad you said that Tef's lord with 1 less Skl and more durability was bad though.

Solar Kn. -> Flare Kn. [Glass Cannon]
Stats at level 20/20
POW [1/15%]: 25.00
SKL [1/15%]: 30.00
DEF [1/0%]: 8.00
RES [0/0%]: 17.00

Uncommon? More like non-existant. inb4yourimpalemads My impalemads exist solely for peg mages. It's an all mounted squad. I've yet to see a Valiant or Sniper with Impale active.

The point is, even if you do see someone running Impale, you have 4-6 units (ideally) that curbstomp it because it might as well not have any skill active on most of your army.

Tef's lord isn't bad. I got so consumed with the thought of most pegs missing every shot that I said that. It has 80 hit normally. However, the fact that it has to hit both of its shots every time it pursuits just to get the advantage the unit type is specifically designed to get in the first place is VERY bad. If it fought itself or another unit in Tef's squad, it would only have 67 hit with a tempest.

myimpalemads

I ran hawks with reliable silver impale in the pseudo-team tourney. Sure as shit did a good job, I can tell you that. Very Rare =/= Balanced. The fact that pegmages have no defense other than nihil against this sort of attack is very bad when they naturally have shit hit rate in the first place (Tef's lord aside). That's why I suggested they get MTA3 and the corresponding magic. They'd still get OHKO'd, but have amazing capabilities to compensate for it. Ironically enough, this would cause more people to actually run impale more.

As for having impale instead of another skill: There's only one unit that has it (3 in the case where I set up my team to counter Tef's. That's a different story, but normally it's only one). If you have 4-6 units that can curbstomp it, I have 4-6 that can stand in your way (including the unit itself). I'd better or I wouldn't call myself a duelist.
+Quote Post

kryptonite
post Sep 14 2012, 05:47 PM
Post #9

Desolate Soul
Group Icon

Peg Mages' Worth: Peg mages are just a luck based unit. Depends on Avd, and depends on hitting low-ish hit rates. When it works, it works well. They usually have, ironically the highest hit rates for one attack because it's less likely for them to miss two 70% than a normal unit to miss a 90%. WTA3 would not help them because they already destroy all mages that don't have 26+ Res.

Impale: They may get OHKOed, but it has only a hit rate in the 60's~70's. Worth OHKO-ing 1 unit with a low-ish chance or Wrath/Pursuit/Insight/Counter/Aurora/Nihiling 2+? As for dueling, no one will put their peg mage in range of that anyways, so it would only be a reactionary unit...

tl;dr: 1 more HP/Def is not a big deal
+Quote Post

kaishin no chikara
post Sep 14 2012, 08:31 PM
Post #10

Group Icon

QUOTE(Nolan Kryptonite @ Sep 14 2012, 06:47 PM) *
Peg Mages' Worth: Peg mages are just a luck based unit. Depends on Avd, and depends on hitting low-ish hit rates. When it works, it works well. They usually have, ironically the highest hit rates for one attack because it's less likely for them to miss two 70% than a normal unit to miss a 90%. WTA3 would not help them because they already destroy all mages that don't have 26+ Res.

wat

Their hit rate for getting 1/2 of the attacks to hit, yes. But those attacks are being fired from a unit that has 25 POW and a 25% damage cut after defense is applied. They need to hit both.

Impale: They may get OHKOed, but it has only a hit rate in the 60's~70's. Worth OHKO-ing 1 unit with a low-ish chance or Wrath/Pursuit/Insight/Counter/Aurora/Nihiling 2+? As for dueling, no one will put their peg mage in range of that anyways, so it would only be a reactionary unit...

That hit rate is better than the pegmage nailing both of it's shots.

"Just dance around it" is a terrible solution. What if I have more than one pegmage?

tl;dr: 1 more HP/Def is not a big deal

You also forgot about rienfleche impale if the pegmage has a 1wt weapon equipped.

But the point of this wasn't JUST them getting OHKO'd, it was the fact that, at the same time, they are mediocre units and need a redeeming factor.

That's why I suggested MTA3. You haven't said anything about that. Please do. I think it would be a really awesome edition.
+Quote Post

kryptonite
post Sep 14 2012, 09:26 PM
Post #11

Desolate Soul
Group Icon

"WTA3 would not help them because they already destroy all mages that don't have 26+ Res."

If their hit rate is 70%, they have 50% of doing MORE damage than your normal unit, 90% of at least chipping damage.

Like I said, luck-based unit. Those hit rates are from a max hit Sniper/Nomad. Valiants are running Aurora unless they're stupid. Offensive Hawks die.

And I didn't forget about that. It's just such a non-factor it's not even an issue worth talking about. You show me a Rienfleche doing overkill damage to a peg mage in a real battle. (IMG:style_emoticons/blue/happy.gif) Reliable Silvers wouldn't have been an issue if I didn't bring it up. I don't even see anyone seriously using it, except for counterpicking against Tef.
+Quote Post

TBE
post Sep 14 2012, 09:37 PM
Post #12

The Kobe System
Group Icon

FEPoints: 27,814,619,000,000,000
Member No.: 4,715

Nolan - 1

Kaishin - 0
Current Mood: Tebowing
+Quote Post

kaishin no chikara
post Sep 16 2012, 12:01 AM
Post #13

Group Icon

QUOTE(Nolan Kryptonite @ Sep 14 2012, 10:26 PM) *
"WTA3 would not help them because they already destroy all mages that don't have 26+ Res."

If their hit rate is 70%, they have 50% of doing MORE damage than your normal unit, 90% of at least chipping damage.

"If" being the key word. How the hell is their hit rate 70%? Bullshit it's that high. Consider glassies when doing your calculations, because tanks take almost no damage. You said it yourself.

Like I said, luck-based unit. Those hit rates are from a max hit Sniper/Nomad. Valiants are running Aurora unless they're stupid. Offensive Hawks die.

"Offensive Hawks die"? What is this? AFAIK, it's a push. Your shots aren't hitting against a hawk. Not both, anyway. The hit rate is absolutely terrible.

Valiants are amazing in that they auto-aurora, so who's to say they can't get high hit at the same time?

And I didn't forget about that. It's just such a non-factor it's not even an issue worth talking about. You show me a Rienfleche doing overkill damage to a peg mage in a real battle. (IMG:style_emoticons/blue/happy.gif) Reliable Silvers wouldn't have been an issue if I didn't bring it up. I don't even see anyone seriously using it, except for counterpicking against Tef.

If Pegmages destroy everything with less than 26+ RES, I see no reason not to carry impale, and from now on, I'll keep it on one of my units.

I'm not going to respond to the thing about reliable silvers, because I don't want to get off topic.

Before you respond to all that stuff before, know that the only reason I responded to it was because I would feel bad simply ignoring all of your arguments. I don't want to waste words debating impale on pegmages. It's a waste of time and it's not what this is about. If it makes you feel better, I can cede you the win if you want.

Maybe I threw you off when I bolded that statement. This isn't about defending them from those attacks, it's about making them better and letting them be true glass cannons like they were made to be.

I think that peg mages should get 3 magic types, because it makes them more than just some sort of gimick. It gives them (more) power. They don't destroy everything with MTA2, and they wouldn't with MTA3, they'd just destroy regular magic units. I don't know where you got that idea that pegmages destroy everything with 25 RES or less, but I disagree. Please show me some numbers.

But they would destroy normal magic units by always having WTA over them, because honestly, any unit with just one type deserves to have MTD.

Also, those poor stave mages are some of the worst if not THE worst magic units in the game. MTD those suckers and BAM, game over. They should get two magics instead of one.

This topic is stressing me out, so I'm going to post some of the emotes from the side bar that I enjoy seeing so much.

(IMG:style_emoticons/blue/awesome.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/blue/thrust.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/blue/point.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/blue/magic.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/blue/crazy.gif)
+Quote Post

kryptonite
post Sep 16 2012, 12:12 AM
Post #14

Desolate Soul
Group Icon

Okay...

And like I said before...

I thought I made it clear I was talking about mages... :[
+Quote Post

kaishin no chikara
post Sep 16 2012, 10:58 AM
Post #15

Group Icon

QUOTE(Nolan Kryptonite @ Sep 16 2012, 01:12 AM) *

Okay...

And like I said before...

I thought I made it clear I was talking about mages... :[

Except they don't because even then they don't have that complete weapon triangle control.

I don't see how WTA3 wouldn't help them. It would give them that triangle control + extra power.

But if you think it would have such little impact, and nobody else seems to have a problem, why not just add it then? Speeds and Elliot said they liked the idea (although Speeds thought it might be somewhat broken), and of course I think it's awesome.

Edit: It also deserves some mention that stave pegs do not destroy those units you're talking about, and are very bad against them, only getting WTA2 one third of the time. In addition, stave pegs can't cast full power buff staves to compensate.
+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th November 2018 - 11:19 PM

Affiliates