Post #1

Flamey Master of Really Bad Puns!
Group Icon

Group: FETO Manager
FEPoints: 133,734,690,354
Member No.: 13,316

Skylessia Characters

I'm not lying about it this time.

I'm pushing the staff about the adbot issue. Even if we move to some crappy freeware Invision-Free or proboards host, we're STILL better off there than what we are on now.

We have the interim forum (http://forums.feplanet.net), and I will be contacting siro to see if it's ready to be used. If not, we will be chilling somewhere else.

I'm posting this here because we are doing something about it. Stay tuned for more updates.
Go to the top of the page
Current Mood: Relieved
+Quote Post

Nohrian Lord S-IX
post Jan 17 2014, 11:36 AM
Post #2

YOU CAN'T BEAT THE SPEED!
Group Icon

Group: Administrators
FEPoints: 1,000,000,014
Member No.: 10,918

Ever wonder why they always seem to miss the art/sprite section of FEP? (the ad bots) (IMG:style_emoticons/blue/oh.gif)
Current Mood: DO THE DO THE CATWALK, DO THE DO THE CATWALK!!!!!
+Quote Post

sirocyl
post Jan 17 2014, 03:36 PM
Post #3

my face has three hands
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin
FEPoints: 1,439
Member No.: 88,769

Fala, stop backseat adminning. Please.

Now, I've disabled registrations. Completely. If you want to invite a new member, PM an admin.
Interim forums going up soon.
Current Mood: Uzbekistan
+Quote Post

Zoryou
post Jan 19 2014, 09:49 PM
Post #4

FEPer
Group Icon

Group: Members
FEPoints: 90
Member No.: 87,909

If we are moving, that mean we need to make a new account for the new forum, and will loose all ours units from
fire emblem tactics, right?

Im new on the forum so i got no problem in making a new account, but say goodbye to my 300 units is like...like losing 300 units omfg! good bye to my harem T_T and company... I will find the dragon balls and revive all the girls and womans! and the guys too, we need some human shields and mules...
Current Mood: No data.
+Quote Post

Falaflame
post Jan 19 2014, 11:13 PM
Post #5

Group Icon

Skylessia Characters

QUOTE(Zoryou @ Jan 19 2014, 09:49 PM) *
If we are moving, that mean we need to make a new account for the new forum, and will loose all ours units from
fire emblem tactics, right?

Im new on the forum so i got no problem in making a new account, but say goodbye to my 300 units is like...like losing 300 units omfg! good bye to my harem T_T and company... I will find the dragon balls and revive all the girls and womans! and the guys too, we need some human shields and mules...

No, you won't lose your units. FETO is still being hosted here, for now.
+Quote Post

sirocyl
post Jan 19 2014, 11:29 PM
Post #6

my face has three hands
Group Icon

FEPoints: 1,439
Member No.: 88,769

When we do switch FETO to the new system, we do plan on doing a full mass reset.
There's too much crap on the server from poorly-coded database crap and battle/message logs dating back to FETO's inception.

We're debating on whether to compensate veteran users with a large number of units and such, and/or port existing units over by hand, as we do want to give the newer users a chance to catch up, and veteran users a chance to refresh their rusty tactics.
However, if this is overall disagreeable by the community, we will hand-port units by request.

The reset will still go on regardless, and, whether or not we port your units, we will have a "museum showcase" eventually to show off your old FETO2 units (We'll hold on to the data regardless for at least 5 years) and you'll be able to download their data for examination, or use in singleplayer/campaign or custom multiplayer once FETO4 rolls around.

Regardless, as it stands, FETO is still running on these forums; because new registrations are disabled, if a new member wants to play, they will have to register on the new forums, then request a new username on the old forums.

We will make a board in the site concerns area for requests of this sort.
Current Mood: Uzbekistan
+Quote Post

Zerxer
post Jan 23 2014, 12:16 AM
Post #7

TITS!
Group Icon

FEPoints: 7,850
Member No.: 2

I won't lie, moving to MyBB to avoid adbots is a terrible idea. MyBB doesn't look all that solid of a forum software, and "bots" can always be coded to get through anything, so switching to different software isn't the right answer to avoiding bots.

If you want to avoid adbots, dedicate some time to building out a better captcha system. Honestly, I made a simple one on GTSPlus where it shows you a random Pokémon sprite, gives you 3 names, and asks you to name that Pokémon. It completely stopped our bot problem. Here's an exact sample of it: http://www.gtsplus.net/pokespam

By switching forum software, you're going to lose the goldmine of threads that are here from the last several years (unless you run MyBB's migrator). Most of the traffic this site still gets is from google search result hits to threads here, ranging from art threads, old RPGs, debates, etc.

Also, by switching, you're completely breaking the main site. I realize the main site is overly archaic code now, and could use a recode, but the forum and its various tables of info are so intertwined with it, especially with FETO.

I would have posted this in the staff forum, but apparently I lack even an Advisor status now. Strange.

EDIT: Just read the other thread so I'm aware that you at least know it'd be good to preserve the site history by keeping this old forum as read-only and that you will be implementing better captchas on the new site. Why bother switching, then? Just implement the captchas on IPB and allow people to stay here where all that site history already is and what the site is already merged with.

I think you all just have a case of wanting the excitement of having a fresh new forum, until you get depressed by how inactive it is when various numbers stay so low.
Current Mood: So I'm confused, big whoop, wanna fight about it?
+Quote Post

Ced of Silesse
post Jan 23 2014, 09:50 AM
Post #8

The Bearer of the Forseti Tome
Group Icon

FEPoints: 75
Member No.: 1,501

Skylessia Characters

I assume the theory is to move it off of IPB. Let's face it: IPB 2.x is incredibly old and creaky, plus full of security vulnerabilities. If one really wanted to, they could hack themselves to be a root admin.
Current Mood: Chipper!
+Quote Post

fensti
post Jan 23 2014, 10:06 AM
Post #9

AAAAAAAA
Group Icon

FEPoints: 2,000,000,000,000,000,768
Member No.: 331

QUOTE(Ced of Silesse @ Jan 23 2014, 09:50 AM) *
I assume the theory is to move it off of IPB. Let's face it: IPB 2.x is incredibly old and creaky, plus full of security vulnerabilities. If one really wanted to, they could hack themselves to be a root admin.

Which has already happened technically.

And honestly, if we don't have to move, we shouldn't. We can definitely code something to stop the adbots and the security issues we can look into.

I value Zerxer/Nick's opinion as much as just about anyone else.
Current Mood: No data.
+Quote Post

Falaflame
post Jan 24 2014, 08:39 AM
Post #10

Group Icon

Skylessia Characters

QUOTE(Zerxer @ Jan 23 2014, 12:16 AM) *
I won't lie, moving to MyBB to avoid adbots is a terrible idea. MyBB doesn't look all that solid of a forum software, and "bots" can always be coded to get through anything, so switching to different software isn't the right answer to avoiding bots.

The issue here is that since this forum software is incredibly outdated to the point that someone can exploit a security flaw and make themself a root admin (not explaining any details because I really don't want anybody trying it), there's not much that can be worked with. By making the switch, there' so much more we can do. And whether or not MyBB is "solid", it's still better than what we're running on. And it's open-source. And we're not paying hundreds of dollars a month.

If you want to avoid adbots, dedicate some time to building out a better captcha system. Honestly, I made a simple one on GTSPlus where it shows you a random Pokémon sprite, gives you 3 names, and asks you to name that Pokémon. It completely stopped our bot problem. Here's an exact sample of it: http://www.gtsplus.net/pokespam

Sirocyl is currently working on one as we speak. But point taken, this is being done.

Also, by switching, you're completely breaking the main site. I realize the main site is overly archaic code now, and could use a recode, but the forum and its various tables of info are so intertwined with it, especially with FETO.

That's nothing to worry about. The site is getting a re-write as well. The plan is to seperate the forum, FETO, and the site and make them all standalone. Because as it stands now, we can't make any ground-breaking changes until we do just that. The problem in and of itself is the lack of things to work with here. We really can't do much the way things are set up here. I would go further into providing examples of things we could do with the re-written site that we can't do now, but sirocyl would do a better job explaining that than me. I'm not a code genius, so I really can't say much.

I would have posted this in the staff forum, but apparently I lack even an Advisor status now. Strange.

I believe a lot of inactive staff members were cleaned up IIRC.

And I addressed the rest of the post with the points I made above.

Thanks for the input, though. Much appreciated.

Edit: The forum we're working on now is only a temporary forum, hence "interim". The beta forum is still unfinished. That will be where everything will take place.
+Quote Post

SereneFlight
post Jan 24 2014, 12:52 PM
Post #11

Mr. good-for-nothing
Group Icon

FEPoints: 100,076,585
Member No.: 9,404

But...but... if we move, what's gonna happen to my name change history? (IMG:style_emoticons/blue/noes.gif)
Current Mood: If you see this, F*CKING SCROLL UP OR DOWN, NOW!!!
+Quote Post

Falaflame
post Jan 24 2014, 05:26 PM
Post #12

Group Icon

Skylessia Characters

QUOTE(ShenanigansFlight @ Jan 24 2014, 12:52 PM) *
But...but... if we move, what's gonna happen to my name change history? (IMG:style_emoticons/blue/noes.gif)

You want to talk about name change history?

*looks at my old account*
+Quote Post

Blueswordsman
post Jan 24 2014, 11:43 PM
Post #13

Swordsman of Chaos
Group Icon

FEPoints: 5,515
Member No.: 8,441

My question is are we getting FETO back before 3.0 or no?
Also if we are units compensated for will getting compensated for any of our items or gold that us veterans have as well or no?
Current Mood: unknown?
+Quote Post

Falaflame
post Jan 25 2014, 01:29 AM
Post #14

Group Icon

Skylessia Characters

QUOTE(Blueswordsman @ Jan 24 2014, 11:43 PM) *
Also if we are units compensated for will getting compensated for any of our items or gold that us veterans have as well or no?

Yes. However, FETO will get a full reset.

The only thing I can think of for compensation is gold, a flurry of master cards, and probably 6 items (enough for a squad) that instantly gets your characters it gets used on from Lv1 to Lv20/20. (if we can make them)

The data in the old FETO is planned to be preserved, and will be fished out upon request, though.
+Quote Post

Fredmir - HHH
post Jan 25 2014, 01:14 PM
Post #15

FETO's unofficial Lurker
Group Icon

Group: +Advisors
FEPoints: 2,192,714,027,990
Member No.: 5,457

QUOTE(Falaflame @ Jan 25 2014, 01:29 AM) *
QUOTE(Blueswordsman @ Jan 24 2014, 11:43 PM) *

Yes. However, FETO will get a full reset.

The only thing I can think of for compensation is gold, a flurry of master cards, and probably 6 items (enough for a squad) that instantly gets your characters it gets used on from Lv1 to Lv20/20. (if we can make them)

The data in the old FETO is planned to be preserved, and will be fished out upon request, though.

I use 8-units squad, if you give me only 6 items like that, I'll probably not use them =_= Or I'll end up making a squad named 'Ca$h makers' and use them only in gauntlets to build up money.

Will there be a way for me te get back those unique items (Earth Dragonstone and Lunar Bow) or will I lose them forever?
Current Mood: --->
+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th September 2017 - 01:59 AM

Affiliates