Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register ) · IRC Chat

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Mass Effect: Hurricane, A Sci-Fi Sea Adventure on Savage Worlds (open)
Hystrix
post Aug 20 2011, 08:47 PM
Post #1

FEPer
Group Icon

Group: +Advisors
FEPoints: 27,887
Member No.: 69

Skylessia Characters

Background

Trident, third planet of the Hoplos System. It was once the site of a Salarian marine biologist station, until human settlers "discovered" and colonized the place in the massive expansion that followed the First Contact War. A sphere of calm, blue oceans and teeming underwater life, the settlers found it the perfect retreat from the overarching grip of the Alliance or the influence of the alien Citadel. That only lasted for a generation, before the pirates and smugglers took notice and entered the system. The small local navy soon became overwhelmed by the sudden rise of violent crimes, organized raids and illegal arms deals under their noses.

The corporations soon entered the picture, who offered the fledgling government their services in curbing the pirate infestation and other advancements in exchange for certain concessions. Before anyone even realized it, many large enterprises from all the over the galaxy seeped all across precious Trident land, taking advantage of the local resources without giving anything back. Corporate troops started to patrol the seas and streets, above the authority of the government, more interested in protecting company interests than the welfare of the locals they hired for their factories. The pirate threat was never curbed, and in fact, some pirates are even known to work under the corporations themselves.

The people of Trident fled the Alliance to find freedom, yet it was taken from them all again. But there's no end to hope just yet.

You are a member of Siren Company, a private firm that hires out military and security assistance amongst the various powers in the Hoplos System. That's on record, at least. What's less known about them is that Siren's members were once part a gang of pirates, famous for a daring raid that left the local navy baffled and a year's shipment of arms stolen and circulated into the black market. Elanus Risk Control Services has placed an interest for these raiders for their abilities and experience and, in exchange for their subsidization and a little tribute, provided them with the credits and equipment to become ERCS's main arm in this system. Aside from their regular operations, Siren performs a gamut of illicit operations from supply raids to infiltration and cyber crimes.

Another corporate tool? Perhaps. But none of you scallywags intended to stay under some faceless conglomerate's heel for very long. With Siren, you have the resources to make a difference. Perhaps tou'll take this planet first, drive out all the competition and the other corporations, and see if the suits are man enough to take it back from you. Maybe return Trident to the government's control, or take it with your own hands? The choice is yours, but you'll have a long way to go before that.

For now, your crew received a missive from one of your regular Salarian contacts. Apparently, an Alliance medical ship has crash-landed in the eastern sea expanse, and he needs those supplies "extracted" in a hurry. He has some valuable information in exchange, but only if you take the supplies intact. It's time to get to work.

Elevator Pitch

A Mass Effect campaign set in high seas and outer space, players are reformed members of a pirate gang engaged against other rogue gangs, corrupt corporations, and alien mercenaries for dominance of a degrading ocean planet and the neighboring worlds.

Game Information
  • This is a campaign mostly focused on the ocean planet Trident, her wars and her intrigues over the seas, but will also take the PCs throughout the Hoplus System, perhaps the rest of the Terminus Systems. I plan to have an equal amount of naval and space combat throughout with a dash of exploration and empire building, so if you're interested in that sort of thing as I am, come aboard.
  • The year is 2184, between the events Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2 (although it's possible that we'll overlap into the latter). Aside from the aftermath of the first game (Paragon ending, with the council still present), I'm not particular in whatever plot choices in the games that you introduce in the campaign, as long as no one contradicts each other. Hopefully this won't come up too often, though.
  • This will be an open-ended campaign. This means that while I'm going to try to steer an overarching plot here, you guys are allowed to freely explore the setting and beyond at your leisure. Of course, you have to make sure there's good reason for it; acts such as leaving to space just to find Shepard and kick him in the nuts will be frowned upon. If you want to introduce any plot points that take place within and outside the Hoplus System, let me know and we'll see if we can work it out.
  • This game will run in Savage Worlds. If you're not sure what it is, I offer a small 16-page PDF with all the basic rules attached. I prefer this system because it's flexible, easy to understand, and easy to track stats with, but if you have questions about it, just contact me. All the rules relevant to Mass Effect will follow shortly.
  • I don't really want long posts at all, enough that I will explicitly discourage it. If you can do large posts without compromising your response time, fine... but what's important is keeping the pace and focusing on roleplaying. It's just as important that you definite your characters by their actions than just their thoughts.
  • If you know what you're doing for a post, go ahead and do your own rolls for a trait test - I trust you guys. Just place them at the end of your posts (or link a roller like Orokos to track/verify your rolls), and I'll be one to resolve your actions at the next post.
  • Likewise, if there's anything reasonable you want to do at any time (find cover, grab an opponent and shove him off a ledge, grab a rope to vault a between two platforms), play it out and I will decide the results for it with the appropriate these. Savage Worlds is more comprehensive than the Test Drive rules will apply, but you don't really need to worry about that unless you're really curious. I'll be open for any questions about the system.
  • EDIT: Your characters don't have to be hardened criminals or anything ignoble. Siren can be populated by the romantic sort of pirates that have their code of honor and dashing pretty faces and all that. And that's fine. This is your company, define it with your PCs.
Game Rules
As mentioned, we're using Savage Worlds. Here are the basic rules again, the rules needed for Mass Effect conversation will be here. The following are additional information to all that.

Character Creation: Follow the character creation rules in the Test Drive. Characters will be created with 5 points to raise Attributes, 15 points for Skills, an edge, four free advances (see hindrances for what that means), and the benefits of your chosen race. You can take up to two minor Hindrances and/or one major Hindrance for the usual benefits. Also take note that all characters start with the Arcane Background (Tech) Edge for free, unless you have a good reason not to take it, by which you can trade it for another edge.

Skills: There will be as much seacraft than land vehicles in Trident, but you only need the Driving skill to handle them both. As I figure, VI interfaces are common in patrol craft, making navigation and driving easy. You can take Boating if you want, but it's not likely you'll find too many ships with sails about, even considering fishing trawls. If boats aren't your thing, spending points in Piloting will do just fine too - should be plenty of fighters and interceptors to play with in the planet.

Initiative: Here's how it works: I bought a deck of cards, just for you guys, and I'll do the shuffling and drawing before each conflict. Once turn order is decided, the person who goes first has twenty four hours to post, or else his character will hold and the next person can post. And so on.

Equipment: Disregard prices for now; since the PCs are part of a security company, most if nearly not all equipment as requisitioned from the armory before every operation. That said, only low-end weaponry and first tier shields are the standard right now, while heavy weaponry is limited to the M-100 Grenade Launcher. Your character can start with one Average Weapon, the rest have to be low-end stuff. As the campaign progresses, your company will be given a chance to update the stock of the company armory (Pistols, Shotguns, Assault Rifles, Sniper Rifles, Shields, Heavy Weapons), wherefore they'll be available when your characters need them.

I will probably introduce a system for the company's wealth and holdings later on, but that's not important for the start up.

All guns have two slot to install upgrades: one weapon upgrade and one ammo upgrade, while a suit of armor can have one slot for upgrades. During the campaign, your characters may come across high-quality equipment that come with more upgrade slots. The upgrades available for your company are in the Codex below, and will be updated as your party finds new upgrades.

And That's It: Well... if none of this scared you guys away, please make a post declaring your interest in this RP, however much or little you have. You don't need to post a character concept or a sheet right away (the former is nice though), but I would like to get a gauge of how big (or small) this game will be. Also, I'll be working on a Codex to keep track of things, expect the first few bits of that to come up early this week. Thanks, and I look forward to you guys.
Go to the top of the page
Current Mood: No data.
+Quote Post

Hystrix
post Aug 20 2011, 08:49 PM
Post #2

FEPer
Group Icon

Skylessia Characters

Character Sheet Template

Character Sheet Template: Click Here To Show/Hide This Text

CODE
[b]Name[/b]:
[b]Race[/b]:
[b]Age[/b]:

[b]Overview[/b]: Just give a brief description of his appearance, his personality and motivations for working under Siren.

[b]Wounds[/b]: [ ] [ ] [ ]
[b]Bennies[/b]: 3
[b]Power Points[/b]: 10
[b]Parry[/b]: 2 + (1/2 the better of Fighting or Shooting's die value)
[b]Toughness[/b]: 2 + 1/2 vigor's die value + armor
[b]Shield Toughness[/b]: If armor is equipped; default is 8 for the basic shielding.

[b]Attributes[/b]
[list][*]Strength: (d4, or what you raise it to)
[*]Agility:
[*]Vigor:
[*]Smarts:
[*]Spirit:
[/list]

[b]Skills[/b]:
[list][*]Skill Name (Attribute): (The skills you don't have are d4-2)
[/list]

[b]Edges[/b]:
[list][*]Edge Name
[/list]

[b]Gear[/b]:
[list][*]Gear Name
[/list]

[b]Powers[/b]:
[list][*]Power Name
[/list]

[b]Hindrances[/b]:
[list][*]Hinderance Name
[/list]

Siren Company Codex

Secondary - Catalog of Available Upgrades for Company Personnel: Click Here To Show/Hide This Text

Weapon Upgrades:
  • Combat Sensor: +2 on Notice rolls.
  • Improved Sighting I: +1 Shooting.
  • Range Extension I: Increases range of weapon by 3 (added to S/M/L ranges)
  • Recoil Damper I: Reduces autofire penalty by 1.
Ammo Upgrades:
  • Shredder Rounds I: +1 damage bonus to organics only.
  • Tungsten Rounds I: +1 damage bonus to synthetics only.
  • Armor Piercing I: Armor Piercing (1).
  • Phasic Rounds I: Shield Piecing (1) (Like Armor Piercing, only against a Shield's Toughness)
  • Incendiary Rounds: Heat damage works as Armor Piercing 2; flammable objects may ignite. Limited to one weapon per character.
Armor Upgrades:
  • Armor Plating I: +1 Toughness.
  • Motorized Joints I: +1 to Fighting rolls.
  • First Aid Interface I: +1 to soak rolls; reduces wound penalties by 1.
  • Stimulant Pack I: +1 on Spirit rolls when Shaken.
  • Shield Enhancer I: +1 Shield Toughness.
  • Shock Absorbers I: +1 on rolls against Throw and Slam biotics, charge or push attacks.
+Quote Post

Donny
post Aug 21 2011, 07:08 PM
Post #3

A common young man who likes plowing fields.
Group Icon

Group: Administrators
FEPoints: 5,190
Member No.: 4,489

Skylessia Characters

Interest post.

dibs on qurian engineer type. male.

Edited, everything below this:

Trix informed me that the Arcane Background: Tech replaces the Arcane Background: Weird Science.

Also, the advances gained by the hindrances went to skills instead of an edge.

advances total: 4 from hindrances, 4 for free. Now that I look at this again, might be a bit much. Mars pointed out how I could get more advances.

Name: Quarlo'Qiwun vas Qwib Qwib
Race: Quarian

Overview: I'll fill this in later, formulating something cool in my mind.

Wounds: [ ] [ ] [ ]
Bennies: 2
Power Points: 5
Parry: 6
Toughness: 5
Shield Toughness: 8

Attributes: 6 points.
  • Strength: d6 (1)
  • Agility: d8 (2)
  • Vigor: d4
  • Smarts: d10 (3)
  • Spirit: d4
Skills: 19 points.
  • Electronics (Smarts) - d10 (4 points)
  • Shooting (Agility) - d8 (3 points)
  • Repair (Smarts) - d10 (2 points, had a free d6 due to racial)
  • Knowledge (Smarts): Space Ships - d6 (2 points)
  • Knowledge (Smarts): Robotics - d8 (3 points)
  • Piloting (Agility): d6 (2 points)
  • Swimming (Agility): d4 (1 point)
  • Notice (Smarts): d6 (2 point)
Edges:
  • Mr. Fix It - +2 to Repair rolls, halve normal repair time with raise. Also, auto d6 in Repair skill. Free Edge, due to race.
  • Immune Deficiency - Start with an enviromental suit. Check Hindrances for the rest. Free Edge, due to race.
  • Arcane Background: Tech - Starting Power Points 5, Skill Electronics (Smarts). Omni tool stuff, hacking, ect. Free Edge.
  • Gadgeteer - Weird Science requirement replaced with Electronics. May jury rig a device to take power from any available source once per session. Beginning Edge.
  • New Power (Novice) - Tech Armor
Gear:
  • Omni Tool - does everything, way cool.
  • Environmental Suit - +1 Armor. Upgrade: Stimulate Pack (+1 on Spirit Rolls when Shaken). Acquired by Race.
  • Shield I - 8 Toughness
  • Elanus Risk Hammer Sniper Rifle: 50/100/200, 2d10+1. RoF: 1. Weight 8. AP 5, SP 2, Snap Fire, HW. Upgrades: Improved Sighting (+1 shooting), Phasic Rounds (Shield Piercing 1). Average Weapon.
  • Elkoss Combine Edge Pistol: 12/24/48, 2d6+1. RoF: 2. Weight 1. AP 2, Double Tap. Upgrades: Combat Sensor (+2 on Notice rolls), Armor Piecing I (+1 AP)
Powers:
  • Tech Armor: Success = Shield raised by four, eight if rise. Can also restore shields.
Hindrances:
  • Immune Deficiency - If wound is taken, Vigor roll or fall ill. Ill has same effect as gaining Anemic hindrance. New Vigor roll every day, 2 successes in a roll cause curing. Critical failure causes Fatigue level that doesn't go away till 2 successes.
  • Anemic - Only when failed roll. -2 to resist sickness, disease, poison, or environment.
  • Big Mouth (Minor) - Unable to keep secrets, blabs at the wrong time
  • Quirk (Minor) - Suspicious of strangers.
  • Bad Luck (Major) - -1 Benny per session.

This post has been edited by Donny: Apr 4 2012, 03:46 PM
+Quote Post

Mars
post Aug 22 2011, 10:45 PM
Post #4

FEPer
Group Icon

Group: Members
FEPoints: 605
Member No.: 2,055

Skylessia Characters
Radiance of Elibe Characters

I'm interested in this too. Don't have a solid concept yet, but will edit this when I do.

EDIT: Probably making an Asari, potentially a biotic. Currently workout out the details.

EDIT2: Mostly complete, hopefully I got everything right:
QUOTE(Character Sheet)
Name: Shazi
Race: Asari

Overview: (To be completed)

Bennies: 3
Power Points: 10
Parry: 6 (2 + 4)
Toughness: 10 (2 + 5 + 4 - 1)
Shield Toughness: 9 (8 + 1)
Charisma: 2 (from Racial)

Attributes 5+1
  • Strength: d4 (0)
  • Agility: d8 (2)
  • Vigor: d10 (3)
  • Smarts: d6 (1)
  • Spirit: d4 (0)
Skills: 15 + 2
  • Biotics (Vigor): d10 (4)
  • Shooting (Agility): d8 (3)
  • Piloting (Agility): d8+2 (3)
  • Driving (Agility): d6+2 (2)
  • Boating (Agility): d6+2 (2)
  • Stealth (Agility): d4 (1)
  • Swimming (Agility): d4 (1)
  • Knowledge - Navigation (Smarts): d4 (1)
Edges:
  • Arcane Background (Biotics):
  • Ace: +2 to Boating, Driving, Piloting; may make soak rolls for vehicle at -2
Gear:
  • Elanus Risk Duelist Light Armour: Armour: 4 | Weight: 10 | Upgrades: Shield Enhancer I (+1 Shield Toughness)
  • Shield I: Toughness : 8
  • Ariake Raikou (Average Pistol): Range: 12/24/48 | Damage: 2d6+1 | RoF: 2 | Weight: 1 | AP 1 | Double Tap | Upgrades: Improved Sighting I (+1 Shooting), Phasic Rounds I (Shield Piecing 1)
  • Ariake Katana (Low End Shotgun): Range: 6/12/24 | Damage: 1-3d6+1 | RoF: 1 | Weight: 3 | SP 2 | Upgrades: Combat Sensor (+2 on Notice rolls), Shredder Rounds I (+1 damage bonus to organics)
  • Ariake Tsunami (Low End Assault Rifle): Range: 12/24/48 | Damage: 2d8+1 | RoF: 3 | Weight: 5 | AP3 | Auto | 3RB | -1 Shooting Rolls | Upgrades: Recoil Damper I (Reduces autofire penalty by 1), Armor Piercing I (Armor Piercing 1)
  • Ariake Logic Arrest Omni-Tool
Powers:
  • Barrier: Power Points: 2 | Duration: 3 (1/round) | Success grants the biotic 4 points of Shield and a raise grants 8.
  • Reave: Power Points: 1- 6 | Range: 12/24/48 | Damage: 2d6 | May attack up to three times by spending a like amount of Power Points | May increase the damage to 3d6 by doubling the Power Point cost per reave attack.
  • Stasis: Power points: 2 | Range: Vigor (10) | Duration: 3 (1/round) | Causes an enemy to be temporarily locked in a mass effect field, freezing the target in place and making them unable to move or perform actions.
Hindrances:
  • Small (Major): -1 Toughness.
  • Loyal (Minor): The hero tries to never betray or disappoint her friends.
  • Vengeful (Minor): Character holds a grudge
Notes:
4 free advances + 4 from Hindrances. 4 put into two edges, 2 into skills, and 2 into an attribute.
Using the alternate Asari racial here on Hystrix's suggestion.
Current Mood: Om nom nom
+Quote Post

Hystrix
post Aug 22 2011, 11:02 PM
Post #5

FEPer
Group Icon

Skylessia Characters

Thanks for the interest, guys. I'm shooting for at least 5-6 for a decent party, but we'll see.

Also Donny, you can start with one Average Weapon, but the rest of arsenal can be Low-End. Sorry for not clarifying.

EDIT: Just adding some stuff for character creation - you can take four free advances to help build up your character now, similar to what you get for taking hindrances. For two advances you can either gain another attribute point or choose a new Edge, and for one advance you can gain another skill point.
+Quote Post

Gazetteer
post Aug 23 2011, 11:52 PM
Post #6

Three steps forward, two steps back.
Group Icon

Group: Veterans
FEPoints: 1,001,465
Member No.: 1,726

Skylessia Characters

I'm interested, I'll get to putting something up after I get other things done.
Current Mood: Relieved
+Quote Post

Velyoukai
post Aug 23 2011, 11:54 PM
Post #7

If I can't have all of you, then I want NOTHING
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin
FEPoints: 12,342
Member No.: 1,749

Skylessia Characters

Same as Text; once I got most of this Sky-stuff done, I"ll throw up the Krogan horns
+Quote Post

Higan Retour
post Aug 25 2011, 09:39 PM
Post #8

Invincible Under the Sun!
Group Icon

FEPoints: 1,255
Member No.: 5,122

Tentative interest in making a Salarian, depending on Z's thing.
Current Mood: Is it the nomad I see?
+Quote Post

Hystrix
post Aug 28 2011, 06:42 PM
Post #9

FEPer
Group Icon

Skylessia Characters

So, anyway I can make the process faster for anyone?

Text dropped out, and we oddly do not have humans PCs in this human-dominated company. Just saying.
+Quote Post

Higan Retour
post Aug 28 2011, 11:16 PM
Post #10

Invincible Under the Sun!
Group Icon

FEPoints: 1,255
Member No.: 5,122

I think I'll be able to tell if I'm staying in this in a week. I can totally swap to human for you. I haven't really read anything yet, though, and if a week is too long for ya, consider me out.
Current Mood: Is it the nomad I see?
+Quote Post

Peppermint
post Aug 29 2011, 01:30 AM
Post #11

FEPer
Group Icon

Group: Members
FEPoints: 6,325
Member No.: 7,282

Skylessia Characters

You need a human? Have a human.

---------

Name: Alexis Griffin
Race: Human

Overview: Alexis is fairly average-looking all around—average height, average build, and no particularly notable features. She isn't bad-looking, but not more than average in that respect either. Alexis herself considers all of that something of an asset, since she's less likely to be remembered. She has dark brown hair, usually cut just above her shoulders and worn straight, green eyes, and no visible scars or other notable facial features.

She tends to be fairly reserved, but isn't afraid to stand up for herself when necessary. She generally doesn't talk much unless she's with people she's comfortable around. She can also be quite stubborn, and doesn't back down easily. She tends to be cautious, especially when she lacks information about what she's getting into, and will often spend time before an assignment doing as much research about it as she can.

Alexis ran into a string of bad luck in her childhood, the sort that ended up with her falling in with a street gang to survive. She wasn't the toughest around—though she wasn't exactly a slouch in that respect either—so she generally avoided confrontations, preferring to take a more subtle approach to things. She did pretty well for herself as a thief, between the skills she'd picked up along the way and her natural agility. Eventually, her talents got her noticed by someone a bit higher-profile, and she ended up getting involved with what was officially known as a private security firm, Siren Company. A good deal overall, as far as she was concerned. The jobs might be a bit more dangerous, but she got better gear, actual pay, and a job that was at least legal on the surface.

Bennies: 2
Power Points: 10
Parry: 8 (2+5+1*) (*Additional +1 only while unencumbered)
Toughness: 8 (2+2+4)
Shield Toughness: 8

Attributes (5 points +1 from 2 advances)
  • Strength: d8 (2 points)
  • Agility: d10 (3 points) (+2 to Agility rolls for Acrobatic Tricks)
  • Vigor: d4
  • Smarts: d6 (1 point)
  • Spirit: d4
Skills: (15 points +4 from 4 advances)
  • Shooting (Agility): d10 (4 points)
  • Lockpicking (Agility): d8+2 (3 points)
  • Stealth (Agility): d8+2 (3 points) (+2 applies in urban environments only)
  • Fighting (Agility): d8 (3 points)
  • Swimming (Agility): d4 (1 point)
  • Climbing (Strength): d6+2 (2 points)
  • Electronics (Smarts): d4 (1 point)
  • Notice (Smarts): d4 (1 point)
  • Streetwise (Smarts): d4 (1 point)
Edges: (1 racial, +1 from 2 advances)
  • Acrobat: +2 to Agility tricks; +1 Parry if unencumbered
  • Thief: +2 Climb, Lockpick, Stealth, rolls made to trick or deceive, detecting or disarming traps
Gear:
  • Sirta Chameleon Omni-Tool
  • Aldrin Light Onyx Armour (+4 Armour, Wt 10 | Motorized Joints I: +1 to Fighting rolls)
  • Shield I (+8 Shield Toughness)
  • Elanus Risk Hammer Sniper Rifle (Average) (50/100/200, 2d10+1, RoF: 1, Wt 8 | AP 5, SP 2, snap fire, HW | Improved Sighting I: +1 Shooting, Phasic Rounds I: Shield Piercing +1)
  • Elanus Risk Striker Pistol (Low End) (15/27/51, 2d6+1, RoF: 2, Wt 3 | AP 1, double tap | Range Extension I: Increases range by 3, Shredder Rounds I: +1 damage bonus to organics)
  • Combat Dagger (Str+d4+2, Wt 1)
Powers:
  • N/A
Hindrances:
  • Bad Luck (Major): One less benny per session
  • Stubborn (Minor): The character always wants her way
  • Cautious (Minor): Character is overly careful
Current Mood:
+Quote Post

Hystrix
post Sep 2 2011, 12:43 PM
Post #12

FEPer
Group Icon

Skylessia Characters

Okay, last call within a few days. It's been long enough, and I can't start anything with only three ready characters.
+Quote Post

Hystrix
post Sep 19 2011, 01:25 AM
Post #13

FEPer
Group Icon

Skylessia Characters

I waited much longer than I should, and now my enthusiasm's dried up. I apologize to everyone for their time.

Well, at least I learned a lesson here. I'll make sure my next idea for a game will be more expedient.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th December 2017 - 08:02 AM

Affiliates