Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register ) · IRC Chat

Reply to this topicStart new topic
[Transition] [Integration] FETO 2/3 User accounts and the new forums., Trimming bloat and getting some better software up on here.
sirocyl
post Sep 24 2013, 08:00 AM
Post #1

my face has three hands
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin
FEPoints: 1,439
Member No.: 88,769

Okay, so it's going to be a pretty daunting task, but FEPlanet, in the coming months, will be moving to a new forum platform.

Now, the current version of FETO (which we're calling FETO 2.2) is currently pretty well-integrated into IPB, but it's not entirely out of the question to move it to another software platform, or even make it standalone.

The issue comes in that the user information formats between IPB and the next forum, will likely be completely different, and FETO has a habit of calling and changing user information straight from/to the DB rather than abstracting it through the IPB SDK. This laziness in coding has come back to bite us years later, but it's not an insurmountable task.

When we migrate users, we'll also be cleaning out a number of inactive accounts and such.

Finally, the front-page, and services thereof (such as the sprite archive, and our informational pages) will be carried over to the new system, and integrated there through an abstraction layer.

For those interested in being a part of the beta forums, you can ask and I'll grant you access. Until I import accounts, you will need to make a new account on the beta system, and you should expect to have your account info reset, possibly more than once, as the code matures.

The beta forums, unlike the test system, are hosted on this server, but use a different subdomain, database and file root.
Go to the top of the page
Current Mood: Uzbekistan
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th August 2019 - 11:29 AM

Affiliates