RaiSolXII
post Dec 22 2006, 04:19 PM
Post #1

FEPer
Group Icon

Group: Members
FEPoints: 0
Member No.: 620

I'm not sure if this has been asked before, but are we allowed to use shields? I was thinking about it for a gen II character once I get one, but I'm not sure if we're able to use 'em.

Obviously, there'd have to be some decent judgment and reason involved when using them (Ex: A wooden shield ain't gonna defend well against an steel axe), and possibly some sort of weapon level system in terms of what you can equip to prevent unbalanced characters. But something like that wouldn't pose too much of a problem, would it?

I was thinking maybe the shield level grows with your weapon level... And that shields are made out of the same materials for weapons (Iron, steel, and silver. Wooden shields would be F rank).

So it'd kinda be something like this:

Steel Shield - A moderately heavy, yet sturdy shield that can defend against steel weapons or lower. (D rank)

Kinda like that.

So any thoughts on this, or did I just completely waste my time and yours?
Go to the top of the page
Current Mood: No data.
+Quote Post

Cynon
post Dec 22 2006, 04:43 PM
Post #2

Cynon44
Group Icon

Group: Veterans
FEPoints: 110
Member No.: 222

You can use shields, that's completely up to you wether or not you use one for your character, just like armor.
Current Mood: Online NR2003 drivers really fail
+Quote Post

Field Marshal
post Dec 22 2006, 10:29 PM
Post #3

The energy of a bear with the energy of two bears.
Group Icon

Member No.: 741

I think most shields and armor should be like that, but what about magical suits of both? No fantasy world is complete without magical armor/shields, so I think it would be useful to have some samples of those (plus, Svael Albendroth in Gen II is going to use both, so I have my own wants for them).
+Quote Post

A relic of FEP's past
post Dec 22 2006, 11:38 PM
Post #4

Rememberance of what I once was...
Group Icon

FEPoints: 696,969,706
Member No.: 532

Skylessia Characters

Aegis Shield would definitely be an example of that. (oh, which by the way, should be an S-ranked Shield, as it's legendary.)

I've already had the idea of shields being used as items some time ago, but haven't really put forth an effort of getting it done here.

Wooden Shield
A simple, wooden shield. It can block most F-ranked weapons, but not much more than that.
Video Game Stats: 3 Wt., +2 Def

Round Shield:
A basic shielding equipment that are favored among beginners. They'll defend against Slim weapons as well as F-ranked weapons.
Video Game Stats: 5 Wt. , +4 Def

Iron Shield:
A light and sturdy shield that can defend against iron and slim weapons.
Video Game Stats: 7 Wt. , +6 Def

Steel Shield
(refer to RaiSolXII's description of said item)
Video Game Stats: 12 Wt., +9 Def

Silver Shield
A more studier and durable version of the Steel Shield, yet less heavy and more dependable. Can defend against Silver weapons and below.
Video Game Stats: 9 Wt. , +12 Def

Great Shield
The most durable of all the non-legendary shields, but also the most heaviest. This large, and heavy shield decorated with gold can defend against any weapons but the legendary weapons.
Video Game Stats: 15 Wt. , +15 Def

Aegis Shield
The most respected legendary shield one has ever heard of. It is quite versatile; not only can it defend against any weapon, but also can ward off some magic attacks, though definitely not all. Anyone seen with this shield is difficult to damage, if used properly.
Video Game Stats: 13 Wt. , +20 Def, +5 Res

The video game stats are just to give you an idea of how sturdy the shields are. I'll get to create magical shield ideas later, but for now, these are my ideas. I'd post them in the Weapon Suggestion thread, but those aren't weapons at all.
Current Mood: Forever remembered for my misdoings.
+Quote Post

Field Marshal
post Dec 22 2006, 11:39 PM
Post #5

Group Icon

I think thats too much - shields are really dependant on size for defense, not material (although it certainly helps). Plus, I think non-magic shields are included in the stats block of any classes that have them (i.e. Knights and Heroes). I just want to know what we can do with magical armor and shields.
+Quote Post

A relic of FEP's past
post Dec 22 2006, 11:43 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

Skylessia Characters

That's where the Weight comes in. If someone's not built and they use a really large and heavy shield (the Gold Shield for instance), they will be weighed down. Unless I misunderstood.
+Quote Post

Field Marshal
post Dec 22 2006, 11:50 PM
Post #7

Group Icon

Gold is weak as hell - a shield made of gold is quite possibly one of the worst defensive measures you could take - its way too heavy, and the enemy will get through that thing like its butter.

I don't think that shields need to have stats, just like specific suits of armor don't have stats. The only reason I posted in here is because it made me think of magic armor and shields.

And what I meant by "what magic armor and shields can do" I mean something more along the lines of The Aegis having Medusa's head on the front so it turns people into stone, or a shield making its bearer immovable by an external force as long as he's using it.
+Quote Post

A relic of FEP's past
post Dec 22 2006, 11:53 PM
Post #8

Group Icon

Skylessia Characters

Ah, I see now. It didn't occur to me before.

I'll find another A-ranked shield to replace it.

And the stats are there just to give you and everyone else an idea of what it's like.
+Quote Post

RaiSolXII
post Dec 23 2006, 12:19 AM
Post #9

FEPer
Group Icon

QUOTE(Field Marshal @ Dec 22 2006, 08:50 PM)
And what I meant by "what magic armor and shields can do" I mean something more along the lines of The Aegis having Medusa's head on the front so it turns people into stone, or a shield making its bearer immovable by an external force as long as he's using it.

I see, so you're talking about shields that have special effects and stuff. At first, I thought you just meant shields that could block against magic (Like a fire shield or something).

I think that it'd be cool to have shields with special effects, but they'd probably be hard as hell to obtain/create. After all, it would be kinda sucky if we had a bunch of people running around with Mirror Shields or something lol.
+Quote Post

Eve
post Dec 23 2006, 01:06 AM
Post #10

The Genesis Maiden
Group Icon

FEPoints: 665
Member No.: 216

Or maybe you could roleplay shields, and not need rules for them... kinda the same way people roleplay their mounts without needing rules for them (IMG:http://www.feplanet.net/forums/style_emoticons/blue/smile.gif)

Just a thought (IMG:http://www.feplanet.net/forums/style_emoticons/blue/happy.gif)
Current Mood: I is Eves?
+Quote Post

Heath
post Dec 23 2006, 01:38 AM
Post #11

Above is true, Below is somewhat fact, Current is false
Group Icon

FEPoints: 9,016
Member No.: 170

I think the shields are way too defensive... I mean, +20 DEF? With a person's base DEF with that, they couldn't be hurt (almost).... If they had that, then there would have to be something like this:

Broken Shield (Item)
Negates Shield DEF/RES

Or....

Shieldslayer (Axe, Sword, Lance, Bow Rank C)
Negates Sheild, and adds +2 attack (before calculations)

And....

White Star (Anima)
Uses Wind to blow away the enemie's Shield (and delivers a wind blast), if hit (Negates Shield DEF/RES For 3 Turns. Limit 3 Turns, and Minimum of 3 Turn before being able to Unactivate it again)

Shield Prism (Light)
Uses Light magic to temporary make the enemie's Sheild Unwiedable (using a Light Prism that surrounds the shield, and enemy), if hit (See Wind Blast for info)

Demon's Curse
Casting a Demon upon the Shield (and attacker for that matter) while attacking, it's defense/res bonus becomes inactive for a limited time, if hit (See Wind Blast for info)

That's all I can think about right now
Current Mood: I'm on the Edge of Sanity's Cliff...Mood
+Quote Post

.:Falkyn:.
post Dec 23 2006, 01:58 AM
Post #12

Leave your chocolate here, and become a demon
Group Icon

FEPoints: 45
Member No.: 631

Skylessia Characters
Radiance of Elibe Characters

I agree with Eve on this. Coming up with stats and whatnot seems kind of pointless. I mean, you aren't going to be pulling Captain Americas and throwing them around like a boomerang.
+Quote Post

RaiSolXII
post Dec 23 2006, 02:17 AM
Post #13

FEPer
Group Icon

The hell...? I never said anything about stats. I'm just talking about general shield use and if we should use weapon levels for them or not. There could be some people that might try to get by if we didn't... buuuut I suppose that IS what RP mods are for.

So I say hell no to stats on shields (none of that def+ crap). That was never my intention...
+Quote Post

A relic of FEP's past
post Dec 23 2006, 02:48 AM
Post #14

Group Icon

Skylessia Characters

I never meant to include stats in RPs at all. I only put them there to give you an idea. >_>

*falls over*
+Quote Post

RaiSolXII
post Dec 23 2006, 03:16 AM
Post #15

FEPer
Group Icon

No, I understood what you were doing (You did put "Video game stats" in there), but it did give off the wrong idea. Although you gotta admit, +20 def is pretty insane...

'Sides, shields should add to evasion and stuff imo, but that's not the point. *slapped*

But why are we worrying about stuff like that? It's not like this is an RPG, so we thankfully don't have to use stats.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st May 2018 - 08:14 AM

Affiliates