FEPoints: 1,145
Member No.: 6,306

Radiance of Elibe Characters

~ * ~
Eastern Begnion
Summer, 747
OOC
~ * ~

Felix's eyes creaked open to gray. Emotionless gray filled his vision until he stretched out, uncurling himself from the fetal position his body had scrunched into in his sleep. With his face not pressed against his pants, he could see the rest of the room he was in. A single thought pierced his groggy mind.

"This isn't the inn..." He muttered.

At least he was fairly sure it wasn't. He couldn't remember much of the night before; blurry images of a meal hastily eaten after a long days travel, a bed he had fallen asleep on as soon he had laid down. These pictures moved sluggishly through the thick haze covering Felix's mind, all other memories of the inn seemed to be obliterated. The question of why his mind was so foggy pressed up against the haze, trying to break through into Felix's stream of thought, but failed and went skittering back into his subconscious.

Looking around the room again Felix became sure that he was no longer in an inn. He didn't think rooms in an inn would have walls made of rough stone, nor would the only furniture in the room be a single, bare futon. He also doubted that they would feature a sliding door made of iron bars spanning across an entire side of the room, taking the place of a wall.

He stood up, groaning as his sore muscles protested. Every muscle in his body felt raw. Funny, he hadn't done anything overly strenuous yesterday. He stood up and walked over to the door, looking through the bars. He was several stories up into the air, and he could see could see the horizon and the sun peeking over it. The floor spread out several feet from his cell door before suddenly dropping off. If Felix craned his neck he could glimpse similar floors stretching out beneath him, like steps tailor made for some giant, until they reach a grassy yard. A formidable stone wall encased the yard. It was easily thirty feet tall, and Felix could just barely make out the silhouettes of several lance wielding guards pacing back and forth across the top.

Felix sighed and rubbed his aching arm. His hands didn't touch upon the expected cloth of the trench coat he always wore, fine and soft, but instead on a much rougher fabric. For the first time, Felix looked at what he was wearing; matching gray pants and shirt, with words on them. Adele home for Mentally Insecure was embroidered in a fancy, looping script across his chest, while Patient # 132 stretched across his left leg in an imposing bold font.

The question that failed to be noticed by Felix's consciousness earlier bounded into his mind along with many others. A voice cut through the flood of questions and puzzlement crowding Felix's mind.

"Looks like you finally made into one of these places."

Felix didn't flinch even though it sounded as if the words were spoken right behind his ear; it was a familiar voice, a feminine voice. "What do you mean?" Felix said distractedly.

"I mean you finally made here, into an insane asylum, a loony bin, a funny farm." The voice sounded gleeful.

Felix didn't answer immediately. He was focusing on a man in a long white coat walking slowly by the cell, his nose in a thick book. After the man had passed, he spoke to himself and one other person.

"But I'm not insane."

Deep inside Felix's clouded mind, an indistinct grey figure broke out into a grin.
Go to the top of the page
Current Mood: Pills!
+Quote Post

Wingman
post Jul 1 2010, 10:25 PM
Post #2

Bat Break
Group Icon

Group: Veterans
FEPoints: 22,753
Member No.: 6,481

Skylessia Characters

For several long moments, Wendy was silent as her eyes took in the room around her. Two seconds later, she rendered her verdict: "This is not where I went to bed last night."

Now, granted, Wendy wasn't much of one for a stable environment, she rarely slept in the same place twice. She was never disoriented, though. Years of sleeping here and there had long since sharpened her mind so that she didn't panic at waking up at every odd place. So if she wasn't familiar with these cold gray walls, then it very well meant that she hadn't gone to sleep in this little room, darnit! Someone was up to something!

And what was with this skirt? Yeesh. Was whoever was in charge of this place color-blind or something? Cold gray walls, cold gray floors, cold gray clothing... Didn't these people know that color existed? And what was with the decor? Gray stone went out a century ago. Hadn't these people heard of hard-wood flooring?

She scowled as her eyes settled on the little window in the far wall. Barred. A quick peek outside revealed nothing of interest except that someone was making very sure that she wasn't getting away any time soon. The door was barred too, come to think of it. Was this... Her heart stopped... a prison? It felt like one... she hadn't gotten herself arrested, had she? She paused to rack her brain. No... the last thing she remembered was bedding down outside of that inn... no one had woken her up to arrest her...

Darnit, it didn't matter how she got into this place; what mattered was how she was getting out! Wendy spun around and raced at the front doorway. The unfamiliar feeling of a way-too-short skirt brushed against her legs. They didn't even have the decency to leave her in her own clothes! The scamps...! She'd teach them a thing or two!

"Hey!" Wendy punctuated that outburst by slamming her hand against the barred doorway. "Hey, you out there! You listen up and listen good! I ain't done nothing worth being locked up over! You let me out of here this instant!" A moment's reflection brought the words on her jumper to mind. Adele Home for the Mentally Insecure: Patient 135. "And I ain't crazy, either! If you don't let me go I'll pound you!"

Current Mood: No data.
+Quote Post

Doctor Cat
post Jul 1 2010, 10:52 PM
Post #3

Don't Blink.
Group Icon

Group: Members
FEPoints: 4,050
Member No.: 6,181

Rachelle's mind continually slammed against the walls she'd made for herself. She hadn't done well since she and Malachi separated once again. Ray... had died. Her outburst was more than she wanted, and she'd ended up destroying the soul of the one friend she'd had for all these years. He was more than dead. He had been removed entirely from existence. And she only had herself to blame for it. He'd lived a long life, but she ultimately was the hand that purged him.

She had been curled up in her cell for days now, eating more for a survival reflex than for her own satisfaction. Written in ink on her patient's uniform was the number 130 - she had considered how the number seemed low, but she merely dismissed it, wrapped up in her own self-pity.

A knock came to her door. "...I-I'll be fine. Thank you..." Rachelle weakly called out, as a ruckus came from the room next to her. "If you don't let me go I'll pound you!" The woman was certainly not incoherent, but she didn't seem to be quiet or acclimated. Rachelle wondered why or how she'd gotten here.

The thought was interrupted by an elderly man, who was laughing at the shouting girl next to Rachelle's room. "...You know, you's can check out any time you likes, but you can never leave, girlie!" A disquieting chortle followed, and Rachelle shivered. Her self-pity was driven to a corner by her fear, wishing to flee, as well as a certain uneasiness she had felt for days now. If only she had her tome... she could keep herself from going mad, like the man there...
Current Mood: Wah.
+Quote Post

Donny
post Jul 2 2010, 04:45 AM
Post #4

A common young man who likes plowing fields.
Group Icon

Group: Administrators
FEPoints: 5,190
Member No.: 4,489

Skylessia Characters

Autumn awoke with a strange feeling, her eyes staring at the celling. There was something... something wrong with the world on a deep level. It wasn't the lack of blanket covering her. She rarely used those in the Inns anyway. Nor was the surprisingly firm and uncomfortable bed. She had given it a good whacking last night before sleeping to clear out any chance of bugs. And it wasn't even the sounds of screaming coming from rooms nearby, as strange as those were. No... it was the fact that, somehow, over the course of the night, the celling and walls had turned into stone.

She sat up in her bed, feeling her feet touch the cool, stone floor beneath her. The floor had changed too? No... that didn't make any sense. None of this, actually, was making any sense. Autumn placed a palm against the wall next to her bed, still not having arisen from her seated position. The room reminded her of her grandfather's tower, strangely enough. Of course, the stone there had always felt... warmer to her hands. But if she wasn't there... where was she?

Perhaps this was some sort of strange dream? Autumn glanced down at her clothes, noting the rather plain, grey color of her blouse and skirt. Not at all close to her normal attire. Hmm. She concentrated for a few moments, seeking to have it change back into her normal green and pink robes and goggles. After all, if this was a dream, it should be a simple enough task. Autumn opened her eyes, only to be disappointed by the same grey cloth.

And then she finally took notice of the words printed across her chest. Adele Home for the Mentally Insecure: Patient 137. Wait... Mentally Insecure? Did someone think she was... crazy? And then, it struck her. These weren't her clothes. A quick peek reveled her undergarments to be of the same grey color as everything else. Someone had... in her sleep... abducted her, brought her to this 'Home' and... stripped her, replacing her clothes. Who knew what they had... touched. Or done to her... Autumn shivered, turning red and feeling dreadfully uncomfortable.

No, no. She wouldn't think about that right now. Couldn't think about that right now. Autumn had to leave. She had to get out of this place. But first... where was her stuff?

Autumn moved to the door, careful not to speak or create any sort of loud noise. A quick glance revealed more of the same stone, this time in hallway form with doors. Hmm... The loudest shouting seemed to be coming from the cell next to her own, the yells sounding feminine. The voice did not sound particularly insane. At least, not as bad as the masculine voice who answered. Perhaps she had woken up in the same situation? Recruiting an ally would likely be helpful...

Autumn moved to the wall of her cell adjacent to the voice, pressing a hand against it and moving it up and down, feeling the stone. She wasn't sure, but she might be able to cut through it. Or, at least, press through it. First though, she'd create a small, fist sized hole for the purposes of quiet communication, on the off chance that the girl in the cell next to her own was someone who belonged here.

She whispered the words of magic and slowly began to press, slowly pushing the stone out of the wall. Hopefully it wouldn't take too long...
+Quote Post

Mars
post Jul 2 2010, 11:22 AM
Post #5

FEPer
Group Icon

FEPoints: 605
Member No.: 2,055

Skylessia Characters

Isolde simply sat on the cot that was her cell's sole piece of furniture, as she tried to piece through what was happening. To an observer, it might look as if she was glaring at the opposite wall, though her eyes weren't focused on anything in particular. She was quite sure that where she'd gone to sleep and where she woke up were two completely different place. The stone walls and floor and barred door were a dead giveaway in that respect, and one look at her clothes, which someone had apparently changed while she was asleep—or would unconscious be a better term? She was a fairly light sleeper, and certainly would have noticed anyone else entering her room, much less taking her out of it, were it any natural sleep—to tell her everything she needed to know about where she was.

Adele home for Mentally Insecure. Patient # 136. That was what the set of plain grey clothes told her. An asylum? How had she ended up here, exactly? On the question of whether or not she was entirely sane, she couldn't really answer one way or the other. She'd definitely done some things in the past that no truly sane person should, at the least. That didn't explain why she was here, though. She was in Begnion—or at least had gone to sleep there, though she couldn't imagine they'd have moved her out of the country—simply taking some time to recuperate and let things die down a bit. She hadn't spent much time in Begnion at all, during this trip or otherwise, and couldn't remember having done anything overtly crazy while here.

That still didn't answer the question of why she was here, but it didn't seem answers were very forthcoming on that topic. It had taken what was for her an impressive level of self-control to avoid lashing out at the first man to walk by who looked like he was part of the staff. In fact, he'd walked just close enough that she'd entertained the idea of grabbing him through the bars. That wouldn't do her any good, though. No, she had enough sense to play it safe for now, at least. She heard some shouting from a few cells down, something about not being crazy. Well, that wasn't entirely unexpected, but she didn't sound particularly crazy either, just angry. Of course, that didn't mean she wasn't both. Isolde shifted her head slightly, looking at the bars themselves. None looked particularly weak, and while she was fairly strong, it wouldn't be nearly enough to accomplish anything with those.

Of course, despite her relative calmness, Isolde was just about as angry as whoever it was that had been shouting had sounded. She was keeping it under control for now, mainly because she didn't want to show them the side of her that might actually be crazy: The one that surfaced when she let her anger guide her actions. For now, she would wait, but she wasn't certain just how long her patience could last.
Current Mood: Om nom nom
+Quote Post

Uber Allopathic
post Jul 2 2010, 08:58 PM
Post #6

Just another domino in the line
Group Icon

"Well, aren't you going to do anything?" Asked the gray figure, standing up inside Felix's mind. For the past few minutes he had been sitting cross-legged in the middle of the room, staring out his cell door, watching the sun creep up and along the sky. The figure spoke again, the words rolling off her blood red lips-- the only feature on her blank face. " Aren't 'cha going to try and escape?" No answer. "Hey! I'm a lady! Answer me!"

"Shush." Felix said, barely moving his lips. "I'm thinking."

The Lady blew a raspberry and made a rude hand gesture, the action perfectly captured by his mind's eye. She of all people could tell Felix wasn't thinking a thing; if he was actually contemplating escape such thoughts would be flitting through his mind like schools of fish, just like usual. Instead, all there was in his head was that strange fog, twisting about and obscuring the roughly hewn landscape of his consciousness. Still, she could tell that there wasn't a single thought in Felix's head. She just could.

Scowling, she decided to take matters into her own hands. If he wasn't going to do anything, she would just make him. But just as she began to make her way to the nervous section, a click echoed through Felix's mind followed by the slide and rattle of his cell door.

A young, fresh-faced man in a lab coat had walked into the room, and was currently locking the door behind him. The Lady was expecting Felix to jump him while his back was turned, but surprisingly, Felix sat still. The only change was the grin that was plastered across his face. He eyed the young man up expectantly as he turned to face Felix. Startled to see Felix staring at him, the young man nearly dropped the ledger he held.

"Hello, I'm Alfred Conti." He said, flashing a quick smile. Felix continued to stare him down, and the man gulped. "I-I'm a doctor here, and I'm just checking in to make sure you're alri-"

He was interrupted by several guards tromping by the cell, touting short swords and muttering to each other. Dr. Conti stopped one of them and asked them where they were going, and was treated to grumblings about being sent to quiet some new inmates on the bottom floor. Apparently a doctor had heard them screaming but was too meek to confront them. The guard's tone of voice implied that he thought all doctors were similar pansies. Dr. Conti laughed nervously and was glared at by the guard before he walked away, down some stairs and out of sight.

Sighing, he turned and was greeted by Felix's gleeful leer. Alfred continued to laugh awkwardly for a moment before swallowing hard and opening his book. Felix giggled.

May the vocal beware, OOC: Click Here To Show/Hide This Text
Yeah, screaming gets one noticed in this place. The guards wouldn't be allowed to use deadly force, but probably aren't that happy to be dealing with more damn crazies. There were in the middle of such a rousing game of hop-skotch you see. Still, Felix is several stories up, and it would take a few minutes for them to make it to the lower cells. I'm guessing everyone else is clumped together down there, seeing as everyone is within shouting distance of each other.
+Quote Post

Wingman
post Jul 2 2010, 09:36 PM
Post #7

Bat Break
Group Icon

Skylessia Characters

"Hey! Are you listening to me! I said I'm not crazy and I don't deserve to be locked up!" Wendy screamed at the unyielding doorway again. Her fist lashed out and smashed against the metal door, prompting a long and unyielding echo to bounce down the corridor.

What was taking these bloody idiots so long? She'd been hollering her head off for about five minutes now and no one had even bothered to shout back at her. What sort of mental home was this if no one ever responded to the prisoners? Were they out playing hopscotch or something? She kicked at the front door this time. Maybe a little variety in the sound would get their attention.

"I said... I'M NOT CRAZY!" Wendy brought her hand back and slammed it into the doorway. The only problem was that this time, something slammed back and caused her hand to jolt. A yelp and a shriek came from her lips. She stumbled backwards in dismay, and then her eyes lit up as she saw a shape on the other side of that doorway. She smiled. "Well, it's about time! What took you so long? I've got a pegasus to attend to, y'know?"

The response caught her somewhat by surprise. A booming loud voice shrieked right in her face: "Step away from the door!"

"Sure, sure..." She took several long steps backwards. The bolt was turned and the lock undone, allowing the door to swing open. "So, I think its been established that I'm not crazy, so if you'll be so kind as to get my things, I'll be on my way."

Her triumphant charge towards the doorway was cut off as a rough hand grabbed her shoulder and she was pitched backwards. She yelped again as her feet flew out from under her and she landed, hard, on the small corner cot of the room. One hand immediately moved to brush her skirt back down, the other clenched into a fist. She stared at the men through knotted eyebrows.

It was only then that Wendy realized the impossible truth of this situation. Several of the men had swords, and they were obviously very familiar with their use. The color drained out of her face, and Wendy slowly put her hands up surrender. This... was definitely not what she expected.

"Uh, listen... I can be reasonable. Why don't we talk about this?"

The guard cut her off. "Listen, wench, I get tired of being called down here to shut up raving inmates and I'm not in a good mood at the moment. So we're going to teach you a lesson you won't soon forget. And don't think about putting up a struggle. I've got two more men outside that will come in if I need them... and you won't want to meet them."

Wendy let out a small squeak as the guard closed in on her.

OoC Note: Click Here To Show/Hide This Text
I left two of the guards outside so the rest of you have something to mess with if you want.
+Quote Post

Doctor Cat
post Jul 4 2010, 06:29 PM
Post #8

Don't Blink.
Group Icon

Rachelle blankly stared at the wall, listening to the irritated voices and murmurs that came from next door. The old man had hushed himself since the guards had shown up - Rachelle attempting to stop her jittering hand. The adrenaline had stopped, but she couldn't help but be afraid of whatever was going on next door.

She heard the man get more aggressive as time went, and all things considered, Rachelle thought it would be best to keep her mouth shut in this instance. At best, she'd be able to bother the guards and avoid a few of their hits, but otherwise, she knew she'd get hurt if she bothered the ones in the cell at the moment.

She spoke quietly to one of the other guards. "...Excuse me sir, but could I have some water...? And could you tell me how do we get released...?"
+Quote Post

Mars
post Jul 8 2010, 01:07 AM
Post #9

FEPer
Group Icon

Skylessia Characters

It turned out that Isolde's patience was starting to wear thin even sooner than she'd expected, thanks to a group of guards who'd apparently been called down. It wasn't the guards themselves that set her off, she would have been perfectly content ignoring them under other circumstances, but rather what they were doing. Isolde couldn't see the girl who'd been shouting, since they were on the same side of the hallway, if only a few cells apart, but based on the voice, she seemed fairly young. Though the guards weren't speaking quite so loud, it didn't seem like they were trying to be quiet either, and given her proximity and fairly keen hearing, Isolde was able to make out most of what was being said. Thinking of the fact that there were several armed men about to assault an essentially defenceless girl was one of those things that just had a way of making her angry, though.

In fact, it reminded her all too much of what had happened to her back in Hatari, in a way. The situation was entirely different, of course, but that was something she didn't want others to go through as well. That was the whole reason she fought as she did, after all, to make sure others didn't end up like her. Unfortunately, fighting was a bit of an impossibility at this point, considering the solid set of metal bars between her and the guards. They're weapons didn't concern her overly much, not if she could take one or two at a time... they looked like the sort who rarely used their weapons for anything but intimidation, or against people who couldn't do much to fight back. Of course, the bars were still an issue. Then again, when she thought about it, the solution to that was fairly obvious. The guards had entered the girl's cell to "discipline" her for being noisy... logic dictated that they'd try the same for her.

And so, within moments of deciding on her course of action, Isolde was on her feet and at the cell door. She wasn't quite sure what to shout about, but she figured it wouldn't be hard to get their attention, given their proximity. "Hey!" she shouted, rattling the cell door noisily, "What's the big idea!? Why the hell are we locked up here? I didn't do anything to deserve this sort of treatment!" she continued shouting whatever came to mind, throwing in a few taunts at the guards for good measure. Sure enough, she soon heard heavy footsteps moving toward her... and felt a not entirely unexpected pain in the chest as one of them gave her a quick punch through the bars to dislodge her from the cell's door. She stumbled back a few steps, even tripping herself up and falling—unfortunately rather hard—on her rear. The fall was exaggerated, even some of the stumbling was, though it was a fairly solid blow. She didn't want them to be at all wary of her. Sure enough, she heard a key slide into place, and the unlatching of the lock, along with some grumbled complaints about "another noisy one".

"Listen, girl, just like we told your friend over there, we don't like being called all the way down here to deal with you because your shouting scares the damn doctors. So let this be a warning," the close of the two, the speaker, placed a hand on the hilt of his sword in what she assumed was meant to be a menacing gesture. With her face turned toward the floor, neither of the guards saw the grin now painting Isolde's face. This was going to be fun. "Of course, I'm sure words won't mean a damn thing to you, so I'll give you sample of what's going to happen if we have to deal with you ag—" the guard was cut off in the middle of his taunt as Isolde suddenly went into action.

She went from half-sitting, half-sprawled on the ground into the motion of a spinning kick in moments, bracing herself with one hand as she spun, catching the closer guard in the back of one leg. It wasn't enough to knock him over, but the kick plus the surprise unbalanced him long enough for Isolde to finish her spin, before moving into a crouch, and from there a lunge at the second guard, who had only begun to reach for his weapon. She didn't have the space to get much momentum, but she managed to plant a fist square in the centre of his stomach, the best she could do moving up from the ground at a standing target without injuring herself in the process. The guard instinctively wrapped his arms around his stomach, nearly doubled over as he tried to keep himself from vomiting, and Isolde, now on her feet, followed up with an elbow to the back of his head, sending him sprawling to the ground. She couldn't tell whether she'd managed to knock him out or not, but if he was moving, it was very slowly.

Unfortunately, she'd taken her attention off the other guard for a little too long, and barely managed to shift her body out of the path of a swipe with a sword. Even so, he managed to catch her left arm, just below the shoulder. Not deep enough to do any real lasting damage, but still enough to be quite painful, bloody, and at least temporarily disabling to that arm. Blocking out the pain as best she could—it became surprisingly easy when she fought like this, though she knew that was also a sign of her beginning to lose control—Isolde darted in with her good arm, catching the guard's sword arm by the wrist, and twisted it away from herself. With only one good arm, she was at a severe disadvantage in a grapple, but she needed to take his weapon out of play. Fortunately, he didn't seem to be too well trained in hand-to-hand combat, as tried to free his sword arm instead of taking his other advantage. As he strained against her grip, adding his other arm for better leverage, Isolde released her grip, twisting out of the way as, suddenly pushing against nothing, he stumbled a bit before catching his balance. Before he could turn again, though, the guard suddenly found himself propelled forward, head slamming against the metal bars of the cell.

Isolde fell back against the cell wall for support, gripping her wounded shoulder in an attempt to staunch the blood flow, as the guard slumped against the bars, weapon sliding from his grip. That hadn't gone as well as she'd hoped, others were bound to show up any second—there were at least two or three in the other girl's cell, and they likely didn't need more than one to keep her under control, and they were bound to hear the commotion. Even with a weapon, she wasn't in any condition to fight anyone else, and certainly not make any sort of escape. At least they might leave the girl alone now, in favour of her... Isolde muttered a curse under her breath as she slid down the wall, eventually ending up in a seated position, and leaving a bloody streak on the surface in the process. This was not how she'd intended for things to go, she could only sit and wait for whatever was in store for her.

OOC: Click Here To Show/Hide This Text
Hopefully this isn't a problem... I was uncertain how to go about doing this, and can change something if needed, just tell me.
+Quote Post

Donny
post Jul 10 2010, 11:27 AM
Post #10

A common young man who likes plowing fields.
Group Icon

Group: Administrators
FEPoints: 5,190
Member No.: 4,489

Skylessia Characters

Never mind about that plan... Autumn started to retract the stone's movement through the wall, pulling it back before it could go too far and pop out of the wall. The girl in the cell next to her was now actually sounding a bit insane. And, from the sounds of it, the guards were going to quiet her up. So even if she wasn't insane, pushing the rock through the wall and into the next room would be very dangerous. Autumn didn't need them thinking that she was insane as well. Or, say, that she was intending to escape.

But what was she supposed to do in the meantime? She couldn't really start to work on the outer wall yet. Her books and clothes were still here, somewhere. However... Autumn went to her cot, and under it. Perfect. More stone. She pressed her hand to this stone instead, slowly turning it into a gravely mix. With some improvisation on her part, she could perhaps work on turning it into a less powerful version of her Scattershot spell.
+Quote Post

Uber Allopathic
post Jul 17 2010, 04:12 AM
Post #11

Group Icon

A lone woman walked down the hallway, flipping pages in a leather bound book as she walks, only raising her head after passing the cells of Wendy and Isolde. The open doors had caught her peripheral vision, and she backed up, closing her book with a snap. She peers glanced into each room quickly, anger flashing across her pointed face, not curiosity, not fear. She stepped into Wendy's cell. Two of the guards were rushing out to help those in Isolde's cell, and in doing so nearly ran into the woman. Backpedaling frantically, they muttered something inaudible, but shut up as she pushed by them and grabbed the guard leaning over Wendy by the collar. He cursed as his head was jerked back, and he grasped the lady's wrist with one hand and groped for his sword with another. He stop struggling when he saw the lady's face leaning over him, rage apparent in her hawk like features; he let go of his sword hilt and his hand slid off of her wrist. Showing surprising strength for a woman of such sleight stature, she pulled the guard away from Wendy and out into the hallway, the other two following. She hopped over the the shocked guard and back into the cell, rushing over to Wendy. She checked for any bruises or other wounds, her hands moving quickly and roughly, showing no care for Wendy's comfort. Her examination was over in moments, leaving no time for Wendy to protest. Satisfied, the woman left the room, locking the door behind her; the only injury that girl could have received was of the mental kind, and that was what they specialized in. While she was examining Wendy, the guards had dragged two others out of Isolde's cell locked the door. The woman stared through the bars, locking gazes with Isolde, listening to one of the guards say she had tried to break out of her cell and they were forced to intervene, getting beaten up in the process. The woman's gaze grew hard. She had already labeled Isolde in her mind as a violent inmate, and to her she was nothing more. She turned from the cell and gazed down the hallway, seeing more guards march toward her. They were led by a grim looking man, who spoke to the woman in whispers. Satisfied that the offending guards would be punished, and that it was no longer her problem, she stepped away from the guards and walked over to a cell. Checking her book quickly before opening the door, she called out in a flat voice.

"I am Dr. Adele, your attending psychiatrist. This is your first session here, correct?"

Autumn ceased her scrapping at the wall. Hmm. The sounds from outside seemed to be ceasing. No longer was there fighting going out. The guards must have settled everything out there. Good, there would be nothing to distract her. Autumn stood, turning around, moving towards the door to look outside.

Only to have it open. She stood still, looking at the woman. "Hello." she smiled. This woman didn't look unreasonable. Perhaps she'd be able to talk her way out of this. "I am Autumn Clarke, and yes, it is."

"Please step back." said the Doctor wearily, stepping into the room and closing the door behind her. She flipped her book open, scribbling something down and reading in a monotone voice. "It says that you were dropped off by family. Do you remember that?"

Autumn did as she was told, stepping back. She even sat down on the bed, hands in her lap. "I do not remember that." she said. Autumn couldn't even remembering seeing any of her family in... How long had it been? A fair amount of time, certainly. Likely around three months.

Adele frowned and wrote some more in her book. If the patient couldn't even remember last night, then she could have serious mental problems. Not that Adele had been there when she had been checked in, of course. She was the chief of medicine, for the goddess's sake, she couldn't check every patient in personally. It merely said so on the notes the orderly on duty had made for Autumn when she arrived. She moved on to her next test questions, things she asked every patient to try and determine their mental state. It was infuriating how little information she was given by family sometimes. She was flying blind here, essentially. "Do you know where this is?"

"I believe that I am currently in the Adele Home for the Mentally Insecure, as is written on my uniform." That was a rather obvious question, wasn't it? Autumn couldn't be sure as to why she asked. Perhaps it was something along the lines of an evaluation of herself? To see if she was illiterate? Sadly, this area of thinking was not one her grandfather had owned any books on.

"I do not, however, understand why I am here."

The doctor frowned. She could read at least, but not knowing why she was in a mental institution? That couldn't be a good sign. "This is a mental institution Autumn; and Insane Asylum in layman's terms. You're here because those close to you believe you need help managing yourself." She said breezily. She had said those exact words plenty of times before to confused inmates.

"I see..." said Autumn, taking on a thoughtful expression. "Do you have who brought me in written on your sheets?" she asked, watching her. "The last thing I remember before waking up in this room this morning is going to sleep in the bedroom I had purchased for the night. As far as I am aware, no one close to me brought me here."

Adele checked her notes. "Family" was written in a curling script beneath "Admitted by" in her ledger. She thought hard for a second, trying to remember if anything else was usually written there. Unable to remember, she ignored the question and instead focused on Autumn's last recollections. It could have been some sort of hallucination; a break from reality would explain why Autumn doesn't remember being dropped off or her family, thought Adele. That would make the most sense with what she knew at the moment. She pressed the line of questioning, wishing for more information. "What do you remember about last night?"

Hm... That was strange. This Doctor Adele, obviously who the hospital was named after, seemed to be avoiding her question. Unless, of course, her question was somehow involved. That really didn't seem to be the case, to Autumn, but she decided to pursue that route of reasoning for now.

"Last night, I remember arriving in the town of Dyrnl. It was growing late, so I headed straight for the local Inn. As I recall, it was named 'The Starring Socket.' There was a strange, eyeball insignia above the door." She paused for breath, gathering her thoughts. Before too long, her memories started to grow fuzzy. That was very unusual for her. "I purchased a room on the second floor, requested some dinner and went to clean myself from the road. Coming back down the stairs, I proceeded to eat my dinner."

Autumn frowned, slightly. "After that... my memory starts to get foggy. I believe I remember returning to my room and going to bed. I may or may not have documented the day in my journal... I apologize. I cannot recall much more than that."

The thought that Autumn was a mythomaniac passed through Adele's mind. Compulsive lying would explain her "foggy memory"; she just couldn't think of anything, thought the Doctor. It would also explain why she said she doesn't remember being dropped off by family-- she was merely lying. But the inclusion of a journal puzzled her. It would make for concrete proof that Autumn was lying if she found her journal and it conflicted with what she said. It didn't make sense for her to include a journal in her lie. Adele sighed quietly and jotted some notes down. She would need to check Autumn's personal affects later and look for a journal. She closed the book and stared at Autumn for a moment, leaning back against the wall. A mythomaniac, or a schizophrenic, thought the doctor coolly. If she was a schizophrenic, she could prove to be dangerous, and she might have to be moved out a higher security cell...

No response? Nothing? Autumn was a touch confused. All the Doctor had done was take some notes and sigh. Strange. "Do you have any other questions for me, Doctor Adele?" she asked, "If not, it was a pleasure meeting you. I do hope that I shall soon be released." Or break out, she mentally added, a smile on her face. After the woman left, she'd go back under her bed and resume her chipping away at the wall. Hopefully she would soon have enough to start the break out process.

"No more questions Autumn." Adele replied. She said nothing about her leaving. Adele had seen how agitated patients who thought they were leaving could get when told that they wouldn't be for quite some time. Better to let them figure that out over time, Adele had realized a while ago. She opened the cell door and walked out, locking it behind her. She checked her book to see who her next patient was, eyeing the words in ancient written across the bottom of Autumn's page. A wave of relief washed over her; she never knew if she would need to use light magic to restrain newer patients, and was glad that she didn't have to subdue Autumn in such a way. You could just never tell what sort of funny business the inmates would try and get away with.

Ok, joint post by me and donny (obviously) Hopefully that fixed the guard dillema and people can scheme with minimal disturbances.
+Quote Post

Wingman
post Jul 18 2010, 10:01 AM
Post #12

Bat Break
Group Icon

Skylessia Characters

Alright... That hadn't really worked at all, even if the cavalry had arrived in the nick of time. So what if that hawk-featured lady had just saved her? Wendy didn't feel any sense of attachment or loyalty to her. Under other circumstances, Wendy was pretty sure that she could have had a great deal of fun with Hawk Woman. Those all-business-types were always great fun to push around and mess with, mostly because they insisted on taking everything literally and couldn't take a joke at all. But this wasn't the average circumstance. Right now, Wendy wanted out of this place... and as much as she hated to admit it, that meant that she was going to have to get on the authority's good side instead of deride it. Figured. This had to be Karma's way of messing with her or something.

She crawled off the bed in the wake of her 'rescue' and moved to her cell doorway. It wasn't easy to hear what was going on in the corridor, but it wasn't exactly hard, either. So, those guards were way out of line. That was good. It meant that the Hawk Woman wasn't a complete nutcase (Weren't all asylums run by the insane? There was a saying about that or something.) and Wendy might even be able to reason with her. That conviction was strengthened as she eavesdropped on the little interview going on next door. Her neighbor's story was sounding really familiar... almost too familiar. Like 'that's exactly what happened to me' familiar... If that was the case...

"Hey, um, excuse me?" Wendy knocked on the doorway, a little louder than she had to, and tried to call out for Hawk Woman's attention. "Can we talk a moment?"

Not getting snarky was hard, but doable. Besides, there was an ulterior motive for this besides just making an appeal for release. Her neighbor had been abducted out of that inn as well, which seemed to indicate a pattern. Like the old saying went, you couldn't stop with just one. If she and her neighbor had been kidnapped, then odds were that there were other people here, too, who had been kidnapped off the streets. If she could identify those people, or at least make contact with them, then maybe they could start organizing a real escape or make a mass appeal for release. She was going to need help with this one, and that meant that she needed to find out who was a friend and who was too much of a nut to be counted on for help.

"I think there's been a pretty big mistake. You, see, I'm not supposed to be here; I mean I'm not supposed to be here. I rolled into town last night with my pegasus, Golda. You can ask the town watchman, he saw me come in and if you check out the Staring Socket inn, you'll find out that I rented a stable last night to house my pegasus in. After I'd done that, I bedded down for the night, and when I woke up, I'm inside this room and wearing clothes that I've never seen before." It was a quick explanation, but Wendy just hoped that those who were in a similar position could hear it. It didn't matter whether this Hawk Woman actually believed her or not. "I just want to get out and go home. I've got people there who are worried about me, you know? That's why those guards of yours got all worked up in the first place, all I wanted to do was get your attention so I could explain the mistake."
+Quote Post

Doctor Cat
post Jul 23 2010, 09:37 PM
Post #13

Don't Blink.
Group Icon

The guards ignored her request. She swallowed what little saliva she had to keep her mouth and throat wet, but she needed to get some water. Even if she were properly admitted here... they didn't care about their charges...

Rachelle wanted to voice her opinion and agree with the girl's voice she heard, but she couldn't. She'd been brought here days before, but she knew the patches she'd done were going to run dry sometime in the next couple of days. She wanted out. She didn't want to go mad again. She'd barely gotten out of her last fit - after murdering a lot of innocent people.

"Uhm... I was brought here a few nights ago too," Rachelle said briefly, trying to rationalize it. "I don't know, but my things might still be in the inn I was staying at too. It was that same one..."
+Quote Post

Mars
post Jul 26 2010, 10:46 AM
Post #14

FEPer
Group Icon

Skylessia Characters

Fortunately, even though she hadn't managed to stop all of the guards with her gamble, it seemed that someone else had done so in time. Isolde locked eyes with the woman after she dragged the two guards out of her cell, glaring, but making no hostile move. She debated commenting that the guards could use better discipline, but chose to hold her tongue. She'd accomplished what she'd intended to from the beginning, if not in the way she'd planned, and there was no hope of making an escape like this. With that in mind, there was no reason for her to waste any more energy on pointless struggling. It was difficult to keep her still growing rage in check, but she accomplished it mainly by withdrawing in on herself, dulling all of her external senses as well as she was able.

She wasn't entirely unaware, she still saw and heard as more guards arrived at her cell. One of them said something, but the words were lost on her. She made no move to resist as two of them pulled her roughly to her feet. Each was wary, and kept one hand on a weapon and one on her, but she didn't give them any reason to use them. That fact came across as somewhat strange, considering what she'd done to the last two to enter her cell, and she was obviously still conscious, if very detached. She tried to keep as much of an eye on her surroundings as she could, but the trip up to the upper levels still passed in a blur. They'd stopped once, and someone applied a quick bandage to her shoulder wound. It wasn't bad, and would have been fine even if they hadn't, but she figured it was more out of concern about her bleeding all over the place than her health.

Eventually, she was dumped unceremoniously into another empty cell. She simply lay, unmoving, on the floor for several minutes, before slowly sitting up, allowing full control of her body to return. It had taken a level of restraint she was unused to exerting to keep from lashing out at the guards, and the anger that had been building in her had yet to subside at all. Really, she thought, she was getting very close to proving to them that she really was crazy. The first thing she did after managing to get to her feet was slam her fist into the nearest wall, uncaring of the tears it inflicted on the flesh of her knuckles. She was beyond pain at the moment, dangerously close to slipping over the edge completely. This, at least, helped her vent some of her frustration, even if it was barely a sliver compared to what she still harboured.

Going berserk now wouldn't accomplish anything. She had to wait for a better opportunity. She knew that, but it didn't stop her body from screaming at her to do just that. It was times like this that she really did wonder if she belonged in a place like this. She was barely in control of her own body, and she knew it wouldn't take much to break that tenuous control entirely.

Sorry for the delay, just took me a long time to get this post figured out. Hopefully it turned out all right.
+Quote Post

Uber Allopathic
post Jul 30 2010, 01:05 AM
Post #15

Group Icon

"So you were brought here by your family?" Conti said, reading off of Felix's page in his ledger. "And, uh, last night was when you arrived?"

"No." Felix replied, his voice curiously flat. His attention was being pulled away from the doctor as The Lady bounded back and forth across his mind, acting like a blood hound who had found the scent of it's prey on the wind. She was trying with all her might to wrest control from Felix. He had to focus hard to keep her mentally in check.

"Oh come on!" She pleaded, her wails reverberating painfully in Felix's mind. "He's so pathetic, you have to let me strangle him! You just have to!"

'Shut up.' Thought Felix, the words passing through his mind for The Lady to hear. 'You killed someone just a few days ago. That girl from the inn, or don't you remember?'

"I remember, I remember, but I mean just look at him. He so bumbling, and so sweet, and I bet he's well meaning too. I need to get my fingers around his neck Felix, let me do it. Let me, let me, let me, let me, LET ME!" She screamed.

Nearly a minute passed in silence, Felix staring blankly at the floor, a vein popping on his forehead as he fought against The Lady, and Dr. Conti watching Felix with growing concern.

"If, if you're uh, not up to answering questions I can come back later..." Conti said as he turned to the door, unlocking it and making to slid it open. Felix's head snapped up at the motion, and with a sigh that echoed only through his mind he stopped resisting The Lady. She squealed with glee as she slid her consciousness into Felix's limbs, and sprang up from the ground. Leaping over to the doctor she hooked her arm around his neck and fell backwards, twisting mid-air to throw him to the ground. He yelped in surprise, but The Lady fell upon him and her fingers wrapped around his neck, reducing any cry for help to a pained gurgle.

He struggled, reaching for the knife he kept concealed in his coat. Before he could wrap his hand around the handle The Lady's fingers dug even deeper into his neck, crushing his windpipe. He stopped squirming moments afterward. Satisfied, The Lady sank back into Felix's mind, and Felix slipped back into his body.

He flipped Conti's still body over and reached into his front pocket, pulling out a ring of keys. He stopped for a moment, grimacing. Felix absolutely hated it when The Lady had just killed someone; Her happiness from that fact swept through his mind in sweet, syrupy waves. It made him want to stop whatever he was doing and skip about.

It sucked.

At least she stops complaining for a while, Felix told himself as he stood up. He walked out the door and locked it behind him. After looking about he headed for the stairs, figuring they were the fastest way out of this place.

Voices, coming from behind Felix, caught his ear. He turned around to see two doctors rounding the corner at a brisk pace. The cell next to Felix was empty, and he dashed in through the open doorway. He hugged the wall, hoping that the doctors wouldn't notice him. They didn't. They were too busy bickering about "Those damn sadistic guards", and "Mistreatment of confused new patients" to look into an empty cell. After they were gone, Felix left the cell, only to go right back in as the telltale sound of guards' metal boots clinking on stone filled the air. He lifted up the futon in the corner and dove beneath it, spreading the blanket that lay atop this one out so the mattress merely looked bumpy. He lifted the blanket a bit and peered out.

The guards marched up to the cell and threw a young woman in, locking the door behind her. Felix watched her for a few minutes as she just lay on the floor, unmoving. He contemplated saying something, but the woman stood up, walked over to the wall, and punched it just as Felix opened his mouth. A childish grin spread across his face, and he stuck his head out from under the blanket, the rest of his body still covered.

"Hello. Are you crazy?" He asked.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th July 2020 - 04:17 PM

Affiliates