Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What I would do if I did it.
FEPlanet Forums > Important Forums > Fire Emblem Tactics Online
maseck
This is how I would make a FETOS knowing what I know now. Yes, I did not play FETO much when I did but I don't really care.

First big difference...
No more bloody scripts. The game will be bottled in executables (jars, exes, ect.).

- A hierarchy of executables will call each other; the roots or top level files would be composed of only jars while lower level files might mix and mingle.
This allows flexibility (I'm gay for flexibility). Anybody could change the path of the hierarchy aka. how the game functions. This means that changes can be made by the community when with the appropriate sharing tools.

- This means no more economy and leveling (exp and Wexp). Characters would be stored in files on players' computers and openly modified.
- The game could function with P2P, which is nice in some cases (as in not worrying about cheating cases).
- New maps would enter the game easily and bad maps could be dealt with.

I probably forgot a few things but ehhh.

Yes, this would create a few problems but they are solvable. Go ahead and say them. If I were to ever make a FETUS, I would be sure to address them. It is unlikely that I would do this anytime soon (years) if at all, so don't expect anything. Maybe somebody else will do this. Just wanted to say.
Carlton
QUOTE(Female Boomer @ Mar 2 2010, 08:58 PM) *
This is how I would make a FETOS knowing what I know now. Yes, I did not play FETO much when I did but I don't really care.

First big difference...
No more bloody scripts. The game will be bottled in executables (jars, exes, ect.).

- A hierarchy of executables will call each other; the roots or top level files would be composed of only jars while lower level files might mix and mingle.
This allows flexibility (I'm gay for flexibility). Anybody could change the path of the hierarchy aka. how the game functions. This means that changes can be made by the community when with the appropriate sharing tools.

- This means no more economy and leveling (exp and Wexp). Characters would be stored in files on players' computers and openly modified.
- The game could function with P2P, which is nice in some cases (as in not worrying about cheating cases).
- New maps would enter the game easily and bad maps could be dealt with.

I probably forgot a few things but ehhh.

Yes, this would create a few problems but they are solvable. Go ahead and say them. If I were to ever make a FETUS, I would be sure to address them. It is unlikely that I would do this anytime soon (years) if at all, so don't expect anything. Maybe somebody else will do this. Just wanted to say.

Good luck piling all that into a standalone executable, syncing it with a 24/7 dedicated server, optimizing it for old as hell architecture (I.E. 2000-2003 parts on a normal range comp), preventing decompiling for people to get the source code and use it to make their shit better if they decided to go that route, ACTUALLY compiling it without running into a bevy of malfunctioning code, debugging all that code, dealing with a douchebag userbase who has no idea how to script and code for themselves, and a huge number of underlaying issues regarding platform and OS support.
Carlton
Oops, here's a double post. OH WELL LOL.

By far the most important issue of all this would be hosting costs. It's not like you can just have a high horsepower dedicated server to handle all the traffic given to you on a silver platter and an 800 GB/Month hosting plan to actually get people to that server in the first place. Nobody would be fool enough to run something like that for free unless they already has some serious bank in place to freely spend.
maseck
Lol, I can do the executable stuff (with a few more years of experience). All I really have to watch out for is it getting boring. I would probably have none of my own servers unless I got rich(er). Preventing decompiling is overrated.

FETO was doomed to fall apart some way or another. I guess this is more of a what crazy shit would have to be done to make a surviving FETO. Knowing myself, this is what I would try to do.

I don't think anybody wants to invest tons and tons of time on something like this.

Whatever.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.